[Bp_counteringabuse] BPF Progress Update 7: Countering the Online Abuse of Women

Anri VAN DER SPUY AVANDERSPUY at unog.ch
Fri Aug 14 09:51:21 EDT 2015

Dear all

Eighth meeting: report

We had our 8th meeting this week, during which we continued to populate
the draft outline of work; focusing on solutions and responses to counter
online VAW (section 2). If you missed the meeting, you can listen to the
recording or read the attached meeting summary for more information.

Survey feedback

Thank you to all who contributed and shared details about our survey. We
received 57 substantive responses from diverse stakeholder groups and
regions, including a significant number of responses from developing
countries (25% of the responses were from Africa, 23% from Europe, 12%
Middle East, 17% Asia, 10% North America, and 13% Central & South
America). A large number of different countries are also represented in
the responses (e.g. for Africa, we had respondents who reside in South
Africa, Ghana, Nigeria, Tunisia, Zambia, Kenya, Cameroon and Uganda).

We will provide you with a more detailed summary of the results as soon as

we have finished compiling and interpreting the results.

What solutions, responses and strategies to counter online VAW do you know

of?

Over the next three weeks we will continue to map and analyse the variety
of policies, approaches, initiatives and/or strategies that exist to
counter online VAW. The topic, contained in section 2 of the draft outline

Google doc, is divided into different stakeholder groups? responses,
namely:

government and public sector;
private sector;
multistakeholder initiatives (public-private, corporation and civil
society groups, etc.); and
community/ user-led initiatives.

We are particularly interested to learn not only about these approaches,
but also why they were adopted and how effective they have proven to be in

countering and/or preventing online VAW.

We encourage you to continue adding your comments and/or thoughts
regarding these sections directly on the Google doc, or to respond to this

email with your feedback and suggestions.

Reminders

Our next meeting will take place on 24, 26 or 27 August. If you would like

to have a say on timing of the meeting, please indicate your preference
using this poll. The poll will be closed on Tuesday 18 August 2015 at
17:00 GMT and, as usual, meeting details will be sent to this mailing list

and published on the BPF's website platform thereafter.

Thank you to all the volunteers who have already submitted case studies.
We would like to encourage those who have not had the chance to do so, to
submit these within the next week so that we can incorporate them into our

draft report for the September 2-4 Open Consultations and MAG meeting in
Paris.

Kind regards,
Anri