[Bp_counteringabuse] Update and next meeting

Jac sm Kee jac at apcwomen.org
Mon Oct 12 11:58:23 EDT 2015

Dear all,

As you are probably aware, in the past few days a concerted attempt
was made to hijack a Twitter conversation this BPF had organized as an
attempt to engage more stakeholders on the issue of how online
violence affects both individuals and communities.

The ongoing attack consists of, among other things, several
threatening emails sent to some of our volunteer participants,
thousands of tweets in the past three days targeting the
conversation’s hashtag (including tweets with racist, abusive and
sexually explicit content), and a video that contains selected
extracts from some of our audio recordings and meeting summaries. We
now know that this is part of a planned effort probably organized by a
community associated with the Gamergate controversy. And we also know
that at least one of the instigators of the attack has participated in
the last BPF meeting and is probably subscribed to this mailing list.

We would like to remind everyone that the IGF is a neutral platform
that welcomes all stakeholders and that aims to provide a transparent
and open, and safe, space for people to discuss Internet governance
challenges. It is for this reason that we also welcome constructive
dialogue and input on our work, including the BPF’s Draft II, which is
still open for comment here:
http://review.intgovforum.org/igf-2015/best-practice-forums/draft-ii-bpf
- -on-practices-to-counter-online-violence-against-women-and-girls/

If anyone has questions about the ways in which the IGF and this BPF
operates, we invite you to direct them to us or to peruse the
documents that are published, for the sake of openness, inclusiveness
and transparency, on our website.

As a reminder, to facilitate constructive and respectful debate and
discussion, participants are expected to adhere to the following code
of conduct:
http://www.intgovforum.org/cms/Guidelines%20for%20Participation.pdf.

It is now, more than ever, important that we get your valuable input
on our Draft II. If you feel uncomfortable sending case studies
through the list now, please feel free to send it directly to Anri or I.

Lastly, we remind everyone that our next call will take place as usual
next week. To indicate your preference for timing, please use this
Doodle poll.

All the best,

Jac and Anri
- --

Jac sm Kee
Manager, Women's Rights Programme
Association for Progressive Communications
www.apc.org | www.takebackthetech.net | erotics.apc.org
Jitsi: jacsmk | Skype: jacsmk | Twitter: @jhybe