[Bp_cybersec_2016] Call for questions for the IGF 2017 Main Session on Cybersecurity

Maarten Van Horenbeeck maarten at first.org
Sun Dec 3 17:42:56 EST 2017

Hi everyone,

Below are our questions from the poll. These are rated by amount of votes.
While I did correct typos and grammar in some cases, I did not change the
content of questions otherwise. I will pass these along to the main session
organizers so they can consider them for their session.

There's a few of these that tie into our work as a group as well and are
interesting for our BPF session itself - please discuss if you see any such
ones.

*4 Votes*

   - A recent topic of development has been the creation of "cyber security
   norms". Where do you see opportunities for non-government stakeholders,
   such as civil society, to contribute to building these norms?

*3 Votes*

   - In cyberspace, what is the responsibility of government and private
   sectors to build a secure environment, and where should they start and end?

*2 Votes*

   - Governments are being accused of abandoning their citizens to the
   perils on the in the end, public domain of the internet. Should there be a
   role for governments and if so, how can this be attained without imperiling
   communications, business, civil rights etc?

*1 Vote*

   - Scholar Lucas Kello points out that cyber security is defined
   differently between states, making a single definition impossible. Can we
   at least define the similarities in outline and scope and could that assist
   the discussion towards formulating commonly agreed upon standards,
   formulations, etc?
   - All states are not equally ready for future cybersecurity
   breaches/attacks. However, a vicious attack on a developing state with weak
   cybersecurity infrastructure can have detrimental consequences for all
   States. What type of international cooperation framework could be suggested
   to mitigate this risk?
   - What opportunities should development countries contribute to global
   cybersecurity and norms?

*0 Votes*

   - Cybersecurity is a shared responsibility amongst states. What
   safeguards can be put in place to ensure that worsening cooperation between
   states outside of the cybersecurity realm does not affect our ability to
   protect against major incidents?
   - Any comments on the Heartbleed bug? How can similar bugs be avoided in
   the future?
   - Where can we get updated and regular news on cybersecurity?
   - Do we have a global intelligent framework to fight against cyber
   threats?
   - How should emphasis and action be provided to focus education in
   cybersecurity norms to school-age people under 16?
   - How can we define customers as citizens?

Thanks to Wout de Natris, Dr. Erdemoglu Kiesow Cortez, Delfi Ramirez, Dr.
N. Sudha Bhuvaneswari and an anonymous participant for contributing ideas.

Best regards,
Maarten