[Bp_ipv6] Call for contributions - Preparation (Feedback to questions by: 22nd July)

Marco Hogewoning marcoh at ripe.net
Fri Jul 22 06:04:39 EDT 2016

Michael, all,

I'm not in favour of directly steering into this, as it quite possibly have too much effect of the scope.

Both IoT and 5G are ill defined in terms of technology and use of protocols and addressing. We can only take an educated guess that those are unlikely to develop towards IPv4, for the simple fact there are no addresses available.

But more then definition, we again would be looking future "what if" scenarios and as history proves, that has not been a very effective argument to deploy IPv6.

No there might be somebody out there who essentially has a business case in which investment in IPv6 deployment is made with an expected return from IoT or a further evolution in mobile networks.

In such case I hope they come forward and share that with us, but I would argue and not steer this at this stage by adding specific questions or sections the the output skeleton.

Keep it simple and seek for current cases that relate to todays reality of running an access network or providing content or application services to today's Internet population.

Just my 2 cents,

MarcoH
--
Sent from mobile, sorry for the typos