[Bp_gender] DC GIG session on The body as data in the age of datafication - Thur 28th Nov (9:30am) Saal B

Smita Vanniyar smita at pointofview.org
Wed Nov 27 06:03:46 EST 2019

Hello there!

Hope you are all having an excellent IGF so far.

The Dynamic Coalition on Gender and Internet Governance session is almost
here!

*When: *Thur 28th November, 9:30am - 11:00am

*Where: *Saal B, Estrel Hotel

*What: *This year, the DC GIG session will be used as a knowledge sharing
space where Dr. Anja Kovacs will present her work, The body as data in the
age of datafication. This looks at data as an extension of the body, rather
than as a resource that is simply out there, and are now investigating what
applying that perspective means for different policy questions. She will
also outline why it is essential to put bodies back into our discussions on
data governance.

Please find a longer abstract at the end of the email.

We will also have the following four fantastic discussants who will engage
with this work:

1. Dr. Ruhiya Seward

2. Professor KS Park

3. Kyoungmi Oh

4. Chenai Chair

Hope to see you all there! And do help us spread the word!

Best,

Smita

Co-moderator, DC GIG

The body as data in the age of datafication

*Dr. Anja Kovacs*

If current approaches to data governance never seem to fully address
people’s concerns, I argue, the construction of data in dominant discourses
is central to this problem. Such discourses tend to construct data as a
resource of some sort, as a thing that is somehow out there, and therefore
up for grabs, ready to be mined. However, as van der Ploeg (2012) has
argued, in practice the line between our physical bodies and our virtual
bodies is increasingly becoming irrelevant. Data, then, not so much a
resource that is simply out there, but an extension of our bodies, even a
part of it.

In this talk, I will outline first, how we came to this dominant
construction of data as a resource, and why and how it is harmful to
people’s rights. Following on this, I will also outline why it is essential
to put bodies back into our discussion of data governance. In the second
part, I will then outline some of the policy implications of putting bodies
back in our conversations on data governance. If data is embodied, are data
protection frameworks ever be enough to protect our rights? From data
colonialism to consent, how does brining bodies back into the picture
reframe our approach to data governance?