[Bp_ipv6] BPF on IPv6; Problem Definition

Susan Chalmers susan at chalmers.associates
Fri May 22 11:57:00 EDT 2015

Greetings, all,

Thanks to all who joined us for the call yesterday. We are off to a
brilliant start. Three things:

*First, *I would like to introduce Wim DeGezelle, who will be assisting us
generally, and especially in collecting materials and drafting the
background and final documents for comment. Welcome, Wim. Wim will be
preparing minutes from our recent call, which he shall circulate when
ready.

In the meantime, the recording of the conversation is available here:

https://intgovforum.webex.com/intgovforum/ldr.php?RCID=31dfd6486e65a50b47e1231b7a80cf9d

*Second, *on a procedural note, our first point of order is to create the
background paper by the end of June. The background paper should form, to a
large extent, the "preface" to the final paper.

In the background paper we should define the problem. Recalling comments
from the call, the problem definition - in it of itself - will be of great
practical value to the broader community.

Let us begin our discussion on the problem definition. To start, what is
the question that we are trying to answer, e.g.:

   - Why is it important to adopt IPv6?
   - What are best practices for creating an environment that enables IPv6
   adoption?
   - ....?

The background paper should include this problem definition, in addition to
an outline of the planned table of contents.

*Third, *In terms of the table of contents, our starting point is the
template provided by ISOC. This can be changed to suit our purposes.

1.     Definition of the issue
2.     Regional specificities observed (e.g. Internet industry development)
3.     Existing policy measures and private sector initiatives, impediments
4.     What worked well, identifying common effective practices
5.     Unintended consequences of policy interventions, good and bad
6.     Unresolved issues where further multistakeholder cooperation is
needed
7.     Insights gained as a result of the experience
8.     Proposed steps for further multistakeholder dialogue

Perhaps we should start a separate email thread discussing this format?

In terms of scheduling, we'd like to host fortnightly calls starting *June
3rd*. Here is the Doodle poll for selecting a time on the 3rd:
*http://doodle.com/e6x25d8tn288dnq9
<http://doodle.com/e6x25d8tn288dnq9>*
It would be lovely if you could fill in your preferences by close of
business on Monday.

Many thanks, and let's define this problem!

Sincerely,
Susan

Susan Chalmers
susan at chalmers.associates