[Bp_ipv6] BPF on IPv6; Problem Definition

Izumi Okutani izumi at nic.ad.jp
Tue May 26 05:00:13 EDT 2015

Hi all,

In addition to the input from Glenn, I've listed a few points expressed on the mailing list and at our first call, which may
be relevant to our discussions on Problem Definition.

 * Motivation factors for IPv6 adoption
   Some of them could be a part of problem definition, if the group considers as appropriate.

   - Exhaustion of unallocated IPv4 pool
     Need for expanding capacities without affecting certain services, price of IPv4, cost and implications of adopting LSN (both in terms of services and law enforcements)
   - Wider applications beyond conventional use such as homenet, which can lead to client to client connections
     On this point, an observation was made to limit the motivation to current issues, not on future potential use

    Could mobile also be a motivation factor?

 * Issues which need actions/target of the actions
   Start from "who in the end we would like to take action/change, who do we want to adopt at this stage? "
   A suggestion was made that we could probably turn them in a workable problem statement:

    - Need of readiness by suppliers:
      There is still a deficiency on the supply side of things with
      usually a limited number of suppliers, which creates bottlenecks
      for entities willing to deploy

    - Users of the products:
      Many users of these products struggle with a topic at hand
      Sharing of experience and information between innovators/early
      adopters and the majority could be of major influence to a speedy
      and smooth adoption of IPv6

 * An input was made that technical best practices should be outside
   the scope

I addition, a suggestion was made to describe the role of IPv6 TF.
This would be a good specific example of the Best Practices and we may be able to work out a problem statement from here as well, by looking at this the other way round.
 e.g. the need for collaboration in creating an environment for IPv6 adoption.

Please let me know if I missed/misinterpreted any of the points already
made.

For your reference, if there is any relevant point which can be reflected in
the Problem Definition, from the draft "Introduction" which has been
circulated, please feel free to use it.

It is possible to expand from there is well, if it is appropriate.

*Introduction*
 - Widespread adoption of IPv6 will be important to maintaining the
   global reach and integrity of the Internet. Following this
   wide-spread adoption, the eventual transition to IPv6 will only be
   successful when we, as a community, are all moving together at the
   same time. Adoption of IPv6 by a single entity is often a challenge;
   it is not useful if one organization alone adopts IPv6 when majority
   of the Internet is based on IPv4. The long-term sustainability of
   the network and success of the Internet to accommodate IPv6 depends
   on getting more organisations to adopt IPv6.
 - By documenting best practices regarding measures and activities for
   creating an environment that accommodates IPv6 adoption, we hope to
   provide the global Internet community with helpful information that
   can help guide stakeholders in this exercise.
 - There are ways in which different stakeholders with different roles
   can each contribute to IPv6 adoption. This Best Practice Forum gives
   all stakeholders the opportunity to contribute.

Regards,
Izumi

On 2015/05/25 18:44, Izumi Okutani wrote:
> [...]
>>
>> What does adopt IPv6 mean?
>>
>> It can mean many things:
>>
>> It's available:
>> - networks  offer it as an additional option for traffic
>> - devices/operating systems offer it as an option for traffic
>> - services offer it as an option for connecting
>>
>> Or it could mean
>>
>> It's preferred:
>> - networks offer it as the preferred  option for traffic
>> - devices/operating systems offer it as the preferred option for traffic
>> - services offer it as the preferred option for connecting
>>
>>   Or it could mean
>> It's exclusive:
>> - networks  offer it as the only option for traffic
>> - devices/operating systems offer it as the only option for traffic
>> - services offer it as the only option for connecting
>>
>> Defining this is important, and I don't know for certain that everyone would answer the question the same way.
>>
>> Perhaps even a poll of our participants would be revealing in how we answer this.
>>
>> I will go first: my ideal goal is it's exclusive; my realistic choice it's that it's preferred.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Glenn
>>
>> Sent from my iPad, please forgive any tpyos or auto connections
>>
>> On May 22, 2015, at 8:57 AM, Susan Chalmers <susan at chalmers.associates <mailto:susan at chalmers.associates>> wrote:
>>
>>> Greetings, all,
>>>
>>> Thanks to all who joined us for the call yesterday. We are off to a brilliant start. Three things:
>>>
>>> *First, *I would like to introduce Wim DeGezelle, who will be assisting us generally, and especially in collecting materials and drafting the background and final documents for comment. Welcome, Wim. Wim will be preparing minutes from our recent call, which he shall circulate when ready.
>>>
>>> In the meantime, the recording of the conversation is available here:
>>>
>>> https://intgovforum.webex.com/intgovforum/ldr.php?RCID=31dfd6486e65a50b47e1231b7a80cf9d
>>>
>>> *Second, *on a procedural note, our first point of order is to create the background paper by the end of June. The background paper should form, to a large extent, the "preface" to the final paper.
>>>
>>> In the background paper we should define the problem. Recalling comments from the call, the problem definition - in it of itself - will be of great practical value to the broader community.
>>>
>>> Let us begin our discussion on the problem definition. To start, what is the question that we are trying to answer, e.g.:
>>>
>>>   * Why is it important to adopt IPv6?
>>>   * What are best practices for creating an environment that enables
>>>     IPv6 adoption?
>>>   * ....?
>>>
>>> The background paper should include this problem definition, in addition to an outline of the planned table of contents.
>>>
>>> *Third, *In terms of the table of contents, our starting point is the template provided by ISOC. This can be changed to suit our purposes.

>>> 2.     Regional specificities observed (e.g. Internet industry development)
>>> 3.     Existing policy measures and private sector initiatives, impediments
>>> 4.     What worked well, identifying common effective practices
>>> 5.     Unintended consequences of policy interventions, good and bad
>>> 6.     Unresolved issues where further multistakeholder cooperation is needed
>>> 7.     Insights gained as a result of the experience