[IGFmaglist] IGF Reform Proposals

Patrick Ryan patrickryan at google.com
Sat Oct 19 04:02:36 EDT 2013

Markus,

That's a fair point of clarification, and I don't think that discussion
needs to be in a MAG meeting, although it could be, although your concerns
about timing are noted. Truth is, there seems to never be the right time to
discuss these reform issues (they're difficult and all a really heavy
lift), so I think we need to seize the moment (and multiple moments, for
that matter).  From my perspective, the discussions must start in earnest
now, and while it would be ideal to do it in a setting with all of us
together, it's also possible to do it by email and in the doc---although
somewhat inefficient, that also enables the participants who were unable to
make it here this year, and for non MAG members.  Thank you for your
comments here by email as it already helps to advance the discussion and to
hear your perspective on a couple of the points.

To your question about format, the proposal is in Google Docs not because
it's a proprietary format. It should work on any browser through HTML 5,
which is open sourced, and using the link eliminates the need for version
control.  If anybody would like to download and store a version of the
document in the version at any point in time, it can be done by opening the
doc (available here<https://docs.google.com/a/google.com/document/d/1IpseDEXj9F25-RQkJWX6ERYl6_K3-jlC0HpTYuqFDCY/edit>),
then File > Download As > then selecting whichever local format you prefer
(Word, RTF, ODT, TXT or HTML).

Sincerely,

Patrick

P.S. I just finished this email as you walked by to say hello in the hotel
lobby!  Would love to discuss live if you have a minute now.

------
*patrick ryan *
public policy & gov't relations sr. counsel, free expression and int'l
relations
patrickryan at google.com | +1.512.751.5346