[IGFmaglist] [Evolintgov2014] Query: IGF Main Session - Evolution of IG Ecosystem-Update

Bhatia, Virat virat.bhatia at intl.att.com
Fri Aug 8 09:42:28 EDT 2014

Hi Bill,
From everything you have mentioned, we are in complete agreement.
Let me explain.
MAG members on main session

(i)      My comments are purely aimed at responding to the questions raised by Subi in her email “regarding serving MAG members as panelists on a main session” to which Jeanette provided a response, and Subi acknowledged, seeking comments to “refresh memory”.  I guess she is trying to decide on whether or not MAG members can accept a speaking / moderator roles on the main session she is helping to organize.

(ii)    On the issue of main sessions, Janis, you, I and I believe everyone, agreed to keep the limit to 1 for 2014 IGF, based on his email of July 24, which you have quoted below. There is no quarrel on that issue. In fact your email quoting Janis reinforces my point and gives clear guidance for the organizers of main sessions.

MAG members on workshops
I have neither mentioned in my email,  nor wish by any means, to recommend that MAG members, who have accepted speaker roles for 3-4 or in some cases, even 5 workshops, should decline at this stage.  That would be terrible for the organizers of those workshops.  My point was limited to responding to the query about MAG members on main sessions only.
 The fact that I am on 2 workshops is only self-disclosure.  It is by no means an imposition on others, since their commitments, in any event, were made much before Janis’s email to workshop organizers, and must be honored. Like you, I don’t see Janis’s email of “1/3 max” as a hard and fast, where MAG members on workshops are concerned.
I hope this settles the issue for all organizers and MAG members unless anyone has a different interpretation from what has been agreed here.
Regards
Virat Bhatia