[IGFmaglist] [Evolintgov2014] Draft: Main session template-Evolution of Internet Governance Ecosystem_Role of the IGF - Reaction to NETmundial + CSTD + WSIS, ITU, other fora and Strengthening IGF

Marilyn Cade marilynscade at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 10 12:43:42 EDT 2014

Mariela, thanks so much for your comments.Subi and I are in full agreement that we are examining how to fill in gaps. And greatly appreciate your comments.
We want to examine the comments, and the options and provide a coherent suggestion to address, so do bear with us just a bit.
However, I ask for some MAG help on a couple of items in the meantime:
How to categorize a participant from a global entity: Categorizing global speakers who are with a UN organization or Regional organization, such as OECD, or NEPAD.  I would suggest that UN organization is global, and that OECD and NEPAD, for example, are Regional, as is Carribbean Telecom Organization, but am asking for feedback on that as a concept.  A global entity from business, such as ICC defines itself as global, as does WITSA.  Some CS organizations are also global in scope, while the staff reside in a particular country.
I am just considering how to approach that in order to both assure voices from developing regions, and also to provide a platform for addressing the broader issues of how such entities fit into the global IG ecosystem.
For instance, certainly UN organizations are global in focus :  UNESCO, CSTD/UNCTAD, UN DESA, ITU.  Some of the international entities/ organizations are global in focus, such as ICANN, IETF, ISOC. These are for illustration only.
I wouldn't suggest that UNESCO is European, for instance, just because its offices are in Paris, France, or that ITU is Swiss.  Ditto to the RIRs who are obviously regional, even if the offices are in a particular country.  We haven't had this conversation and I am only striving to ensure that we are considering different players in the IG Ecosystem, and building an understanding with fellow MAG members.
Analyzing the relevant Workshops: Some of the workshops are very relevant, to perhaps even directly aligned with this main session. The session on Emerging Issues will also be highly relevant to consider the way forward for IGF itself in addressing key challenges and its future evolution.  I am actually reading all of the workshops, and of course, taking into consideration the Day 0 events, including the HL event, and then also making a list of the frequent speakers in relevant workshops, as well, so that we can also take into account how and where the topics that are relevant into this main session are considered and who is being heard from, in various sessions.
Other relevant thoughts:  Present Registration counts: In order to  assess the options for speakers,  I have also looked at the registered list for all groups, and it is quite interesting. And, given that so many of the names that one would expect to be here are not, I am a little perplexed. IGO:67Govs: 209Tech Comm: 154 Civil Society: 432Private Sector: 265Of course, registration count is still early.  BUT, several folks who are proposed for main sessions are not confirmed to attend.  I am wondering if actually all organizers of Workshops and Main sessions should send a reminder, quickly, to all invited speakers to remind them to register.   As this is reaching the full MAG list, just mentioning that it is good to check the lists to see if your participants are indeed registered.
In summary,  I am just doing the gap analysis and Subi and I will be examining options.

Marilyn Cade