[IGFmaglist] Messages for GCCS this week

Dominique Lazanski dlazanski at gsma.com
Sun Apr 12 04:27:09 EDT 2015

Based on our email discussions, the Outreach and Communications Group have developed some top level messaging for this week's GCCS at the The Hague. (https://www.gccs2015.com/) These statements are very top level and can be supplemented by specific information that many of us have. Many thanks to Carolyn for pushing this forward. Please see below.

We are still working on a brochure ahead of events towards the end of May and will bring that to the wider MAG as soon as we have an outline and more details.

I look forward to seeing many of you next week.

*         What is the IGF - multistakeholder, open, inclusive
A global platform for dialogue where various stakeholder groups, including governments, business, technical experts, academic researchers, international organizations, and other interested organizations, gather as equals to discuss public policy issues related to Internet governance. The IGF is open and inclusive - anyone from any part of the world can join the discussion at any time. There are no members and no fees.

*         Why the IGF - develop the information society globally
The IGF was created by a mandate given to the UN Secretary General at the World Summit on the Information Society in 2005. The mandate was to "to convene a platform for multistakeholder dialogue" as a neutral forum to facilitate discussion of public policy issues related to Internet governance, to foster the sustainability, robustness, security, stability, and development of the Internet globally. Increasing Internet access and building capacities in developing countries are part of its charter to develop the information society globally. The IGF's mandate is up for review and renewal in 2015.

*         How does the IGF work - annual meetings and intersessional work
The IGF meets annually to discuss issues that are selected from those proposed by the multistakeholder community. Participants identify, discuss, exchange information, and share best practices to further progress on the respective issues. The IGF has no policy-making decision - it is unique as the only global forum that can facilitate holistic dialogues on public policy issues amongst the various stakeholders.

Dominique Lazanski | Public Policy Director | GSM Association | Email: dlazanski at gsma.com<mailto:dlazanski at gsma.com> | Mobile: +44 (0)7809316063

This email and its attachments are intended for the above named only and may be confidential. If they have come to you in error you must take no action based on them, nor must you copy or show them to anyone; please reply to this email or call +44 207 356 0600 and highlight the error.