[IGFmaglist] [Outreach_com_2015] Thoughts on the September MAG meeting and WSIS outreach

Bhatia, Virat virat.bhatia at intl.att.com
Wed Apr 22 07:14:31 EDT 2015

Janis and friends,
While I was very much looking forward, regrettably, I won’t be able to join today’s MAG virtual call due to a last minute work commitment.

Just wanted to  make a short point on one of the agenda items (Proposed MAG meeting in September in New York).

I believe that we need a very robust and detailed discussion before we decide on the need for the 2nd meeting. Given the points made in the original mail, some could concede whether the 2nd MAG meeting for 2015 needs to be held in New York.  Beyond that, (on where it should be held at all), will probably be best discussed face-to-face in a month, when we meet in Geneva. The hope that Intersessional Work including BPFs will remain on track in its first year, is yet to be tested.

However, if this is a pressing issue before the May MAG meeting, then we may consider holding a IXth MAG virtual call to discuss this in some detail. We may need more than the currently scheduled 10 minutes on this topic. There are many arguments on both sides and all of those must  be considered carefully.

My  2 penny worth!

Warmest,
Virat