[IGFmaglist] Workshops and a couple of feedback points I received

Subi Chaturvedi subichaturvedi at gmail.com
Thu Apr 2 05:24:29 EDT 2015

Thanks Marilyn for initiating the thread. Following on from the call
yesterday. I wish to start by thanking Susan, Fiona and all the members of
the group for their excellent contributions on guidelines.

 I got questions on how can workshop proposers ensure, gender and
geographical diversity of speakers, especially from first time workshop
proposers.

This is a question to the secretariat and to Susan and other colleagues on
the MAG.

 I do not have clarity on how those workshops were scored which said yes to
help needed from the MAG / Secretariat on recommendations of
speakers/panelists. Last year while evaluating workshop proposals there
were no standard guidelines MAG members used individual discretion for this
point.

How were they evaluated? Was this held against them. Were they scored
negatively?
Was help provided to them?

Or were they rated in the general pool and incase they didn't meet the
scores were they dropped off without necessary assistance being provided?
We did look as workshop proposals on a case by case basis at the end, but I
do not recall specific discussion on this issue.

2. IS the link with registration of panelists/speakers operational and are
workshop proposers familiar with it? is that an available resource for
workshop proposers especially first time and developing country proposers
who may not be familiar with the existing pool.

3. There were questions too on the exact objective of the background paper
and the optimal length and it's importance / contribution towards
acceptance of a workshop. First time proposers may not have absolute
clarity on this as well.

Prior to evaluating workshop proposals , I reiterate my support for a
webinar be held early and a robust discussion be had so that the odds
aren't stacked up against new proposers and developing country proposers
whose first language may not be english and titled heavily in favour of
veterans. As a teacher I vouch for the fact that evaluation is a tricky and
a deeply contested subject.

I also hope that we will continue to work towards excellence in quality but
will also strive towards enabling new and first time proposers to not just
participate and learn but also lead and share.

The mentorship role of the MAG may also continue both pre-workshop
submission, during as well as post evaluation.

4. Where we mention on the website
http://www.intgovforum.org/cms/

*"A list of all proposals for the IGF 2015 overarching theme and sub-themes*
 (those made during the December meeting and those submitted during the
online public consultations) is available
<http://www.intgovforum.org/cms/documents/igf-meeting/igf-2015-joao-pessoa/425-proposals-for-an-overarching-theme-and-sub-themes-for-igf-2015/file>
."

Can it also be added that the workshop proposers may reach out to the
secretariat at (email) , in case they are facing any difficulties or have a
query.

Thanks

Subi