[IGFmaglist] Workshop evaluation call

Susan Chalmers susan at chalmers.associates
Wed Apr 15 00:14:43 EDT 2015

Dear Chair, Peter, all,

During the our recent workshop evaluation call, we discussed the option of
a tickbox for each proposal, that each MAG member can check if they think
that the workshop should be considered for a merger. This is a data point
that we can use for discussion at the MAG meeting.

Perhaps it would help to first find consensus around what the reasons are
for "merging" two workshops. At the next meeting, the MAG could have a
fuller discussion on what procedure should follow.

I believe that the MAG wishes to solve a few different problems with the
"merger process."

   - We'd like to be as inclusive as possible, and encourage
   cross-community collaboration.
   - At the same time, we would like to avoid having virtually the same
   workshop happen twice, though with different people.
   - These considerations must be reconciled with the fact that there is
   limited time, resource, and space

I'd be curious to know what everyone else thinks on the above. In any
event, if two workshops are asked to collaborate, then that collaboration
should be guided either by the Secretariat or by willing MAG members -
perhaps a new MAG member and a returning MAG member together, on one
proposal.

Until we understand why we will be merging workshops, it might make the
most sense to separate the "merger" consideration from the scoring of the
workshop. If the box is ticked, then the MAG member must remember why, and
can have the opportunity to raise the point during the meeting. It would be
up to the Chair to determine when the merger discussion should happen
during the meeting.

Does that seem like a workable course of action?

Sincerely,
Susan

Susan Chalmers
susan at chalmers.associates