[IGFmaglist] IGF mandate has been extended for 10 years

Flávio Rech Wagner flavio at inf.ufrgs.br
Thu Dec 17 14:53:31 EST 2015

Dear IGF friends

Congratulations to our community for the outcome of the High Level WSIS
+ 10 review and for the extension of the IGF mandate!

Congratulations in particular to Janis for his extremely competent
leadership, which led us to a very successful, innovative and
outcome-oriented IGF in João Pessoa.  This milestone certainly had an
important influence on the decision of the UN GA High-Level Meeting.

My deep appreciation also to Chengetai and his team at the Secretariat,
for the smooth and competent organization of the event.

I am very confident that the MAG will continue to improve IGF, building
on lessons learnt from previous editions and strengthening its role as a
focal point for the discussion of the many relevant Internet governance
issues, in a true multistakeholder way.

I take the opportunity to wish you happy Holidays and a very fruitful 2016.

Best regards

Flavio

> Dear MAG colleagues,
>
> As promised I am writing to inform you that earlier today the UN GA at
> the High Level WSIS + 10 review meeting unanimously decided to extend
> the mandate of IGF as defined in para 72 of the Tunis agenda for the
> next 10 years.
> The adopted text suggest the following:
> //
> /68.
> We acknowledge the role of the Internet Governance Forum (IGF) as a multistakeholder
> platform for discussion of Internet governance issues.  We support the recommendations of
> the report of the CSTD Working Group on improvements to the IGF, which were taken note
> of by the General Assembly in its resolution 68/198, and we call for their accelerated
> implementation. We extend the IGF mandate for another 10 years with its current mandate
> as set out in paragraph 72 to 78 of the Tunis Agenda for the Information Society. We
> recognize that during this period, the IGF should continue to show progress on working
> modalities, and participation of relevant stakeholders from developing countries.  We call on
> the CSTD, within its current reporting, to give due consideration to fulfilment of its Working
> Group report recommendations. /
>
> I would like to use this opportunity and thank all of you for your
> hard work and dedication to the IGF. All of you contributed towards
> this decision of the General Assembly. You should be proud of your
> achievement.
>
> Remaining yours
> JK

Prof. Flávio Rech Wagner		   Tel: +55-51-3308 9494
Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul  Fax: +55-51-3308 7308
Instituto de Informática		   E-mail: flavio at inf.ufrgs.br
Porto Alegre, Brasil			   URL: www.inf.ufrgs.br/~flavio