[IGFmaglist] Comms and Outreach WG Update

Dominique Lazanski dlazanski at gsma.com
Wed Jan 21 06:28:41 EST 2015

The Comms and Outreach WG had its first call last week and discussed a number of issues. Below is a summary of where we are at the moment:

*        Terms of Reference - we discussed the TORs and consolidated inputs for a TOR which is currently being discussed. We will circulate a more finalise TOR in the coming days, but a key point was:

o   The WG should not only seek to communicate the value and importance of the IGF, but should also enhance the IGF renewal process.

o   Also, a question was brought up around who was responsible for communicating the output of the IGF and this year in particular. This should be a wider MAG discussion.

*        Areas of Work - work areas/work streams were identified as follows with the associated process :

o   1) key audiences - mapping of stakeholders; 2) identify messages; 3) identifying opportunities; and, 4) modes of communications.

o   And should be organised in the following way: 1) purpose; 2) processes (when to submit workshops etc.) 3) value; 4) extension; and, 5) define success.

o   Individuals have agreed to take on different areas of work as follows

?  Key Stakeholders - led by Lea who has begun thinking about groups in relation to the TOR and what the WG wants to achieve.

?  Message identification - led by Matthew and has consolidated the TOR and has circulated thinking around how the messages will be developed from a tactical point of view.

?  Opportunity identification - led by Carolyn who has put together a master spreadsheet, but needs more information especially on local and regional IGFs.

?  Modes of communication - emails, print material etc - led by Ana initially, but need more input.

*        Other issues discussed:

o   The importance of developing top level messages quickly was discussed in order to take advantage of upcoming events like ICANN, UNESCO etc.

?  This includes a longer term strategy for engaging with the UNGA and Missions in NYC.

o   The group asked Janis for his messages to Davos about the IGF and he will report back on that to the MAG.

o   We also discussed getting more information on the IGF website, Twitter, Facebook and email activity from the Secretariat and Lynne is leading on this. We are in touch with them about it and we are starting to understand how it all works, but we would like to discuss the general question of the IGF website with the MAG.

o   Finally, we discussed where we might find a good collaborative workspace online to post documents like the Opportunities and Events spreadsheet. Any ideas welcome!

As always, the Comms and Outreach working group would welcome input from everyone who is interested in its work.

Thanks,

Dominique

Dominique Lazanski | Public Policy Director | GSM Association | Email: dlazanski at gsma.com<mailto:dlazanski at gsma.com> | Mobile: +44 (0)7809316063

This email and its attachments are intended for the above named only and may be confidential. If they have come to you in error you must take no action based on them, nor must you copy or show them to anyone; please reply to this email or call +44 207 356 0600 and highlight the error.