[IGFmaglist] Draft mail to Regional and National IGF's
bommelaer at isoc.org
Wed Mar 4 06:57:57 EST 2015
Thank you for putting this draft together. My only suggestion would be to specify what we are expecting from the local/regional IGFs re the horizontal theme "Connecting the Next Billion". Should we ask for suggestions of ideas on the pillars that need to be in place? Are we inviting contributions that would emerge from the local IGFs on this specific theme? I think it would help to formulate a few suggestions for the consideration of their organizers, bearing in mind that each IGF must feel free to develop its own agenda.
From: Igfmaglist <igfmaglist-bounces at intgovforum.org> on behalf of Marilyn Cade <marilynscade at hotmail.com>
Sent: Wednesday, March 04, 2015 12:38 PM
To: Chengetai Masango
Subject: Re: [IGFmaglist] Draft mail to Regional and National IGF's
I propose one change. I ask that you refer to the national and regional IGF Initiatives -- so add the word initiatives.
I had resisted calling the IGF the 'global' IGF, as in fact, its formal name is IGF. I know that some have started using this modifier, and I am not refusing, but querying if that is a good idea or needed? If we add the word "initiatives", then we can just use the formal and correct name of the IGF, which is just Internet Governance Forum (IGF).
Sent from my iPad
On Mar 4, 2015, at 6:23 AM, Chengetai Masango <cmasango at unog.ch<mailto:cmasango at unog.ch>> wrote:
Please find below a first draft of the mail. The Secretariat welcomes comments until 12 noon Geneva time tomorrow (Thursday).
Dear Regional and National IGF coordinators,
As you are aware, preparations for IGF 2015 are already in process. This year there is a particular emphasis on inter-sessional work. The Multistakeholder Advisory Group (MAG) has recommended in its virtual meeting of 3 March that national and regional IGF initiatives be approached and invited to participate more closely in the preparation process. It is hoped that such participation will serve to strengthen the synergies and connections that exist between National, Regional and Global IGF’s thereby enriching the discourse.
The “Evolution of Internet Governance: Empowering Sustainable Development” has been chosen for as the main overarching theme of IGF 2015. With eight sub-themes that are as follows:
• •ybersecurity and Trust;
• the Internet Economy;
• •nclusiveness and Diversity;
• •nhancing Multistakeholder Cooperation;
• the Internet and Human Rights;
• •ritical Internet Resources;
• •merging Issues.
The MAG has recommended that a formal invitation be extended to all national and regional initiatives both to contribute to the horizontal global inter-sessional theme for this year: "Policy Menus for Connecting the Next Billion", and to develop messages and/ or conclusions that will support the global IGF inter-sessional work.
The MAG also recommended that regional and national IGFs be invited to participate in the Best Practice Forums (BPF's). The mailing lists for the associated themes for this year’s PBF’s are as follows:
* Regulation and mitigation of unwanted communications (http://mail.intgovforum.org/mailman/listinfo/bp_spam_intgovforum.org);
* Establishing and supporting Computer Security Incident Response Teams (CSIRTs) for Internet security (http://mail.intgovforum.org/mailman/listinfo/bp_certs_intgovforum.org);
* Developing meaningful multistakeholder participation mechanisms (http://mail.intgovforum.org/mailman/listinfo/bp_multistakeholder_intgovforum.org;
* Practices to countering abuse against women online (http://mail.intgovforum.org/mailman/listinfo/bp_counteringabuse_intgovforum.org);
* IPv6 (http://mail.intgovforum.org/mailman/listinfo/bp_ipv6_intgovforum.org);
* IXPs (http://mail.intgovforum.org/mailman/listinfo/bp_ixps_intgovforum.org).
We look forward to continuing and strengthening the collaboration that already exists between National and Regional IGFs and the Global IGF.
Igfmaglist mailing list
Igfmaglist at intgovforum.org<mailto:Igfmaglist at intgovforum.org>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Igfmaglist