[IGFmaglist] Draft mail to Regional and National IGF's - taking an invitational approach

Marilyn Cade marilynscade at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 4 11:12:17 EST 2015

I hope we will maintain a light approach on this.  I do not think it is a good use of MAG time to try to create further guidelines for what the National and Regional IGF Initiatives do. Let's take an informational approach, and trust these folks, many of whom are highly experienced as coordinators, and also as committed participants in the IGF itself.

From the research that I have done, and my own engagement, I can attest that they do their best to both support the IGF and also to reflect their own local Internet community, as in fact, we all want them to do.   It is not really appropriate for the MAG of the IGF to try to impose on the national and regional IGF Initiatives. Let's provide the information, and trust on the expertise, and the commitment of those who are doing a really tough job in each of their own countries, or regions, to organize effective and meaningful Initiatives.  Some reflect the themes of the IGF. Others may not, because their consultation or planning process pulls them into using a lens that is colored by their own communities of interest.

We should value that diversity, while offering information that can be used, should that be supported by their planning communities.

Marilyn Cade

Sent from my iPad