[IGFmaglist] Draft mail to Regional and National IGF's - taking an invitational approach

Michael R. Nelson mnelson at pobox.com
Fri Mar 6 04:16:49 EST 2015

I agree with Marilyn STRONGLY.  Many national and regional IGFs will only touch on a few topics, which may or may not align with what happens in Brazil--but may lay the groundwork for new topics at future IGFs.
We should enable not steer.
 MICHAEL R. NELSON
Public Policy, CloudFlareand
Adjunct Professor, Internet Studies
CCT Program, Georgetown University
Washington, DC
703-598-5187 cell
Twitter: @MikeNelson

     On Wednesday, March 4, 2015 11:12 AM, Marilyn Cade <marilynscade at hotmail.com> wrote:

 I hope we will maintain a light approach on this.  I do not think it is a good use of MAG time to try to create further guidelines for what the National and Regional IGF Initiatives do. Let's take an informational approach, and trust these folks, many of whom are highly experienced as coordinators, and also as committed participants in the IGF itself.
>From the research that I have done, and my own engagement, I can attest that they do their best to both support the IGF and also to reflect their own local Internet community, as in fact, we all want them to do.   It is not really appropriate for the MAG of the IGF to try to impose on the national and regional IGF Initiatives. Let's provide the information, and trust on the expertise, and the commitment of those who are doing a really tough job in each of their own countries, or regions, to organize effective and meaningful Initiatives.  Some reflect the themes of the IGF. Others may not, because their consultation or planning process pulls them into using a lens that is colored by their own communities of interest.
We should value that diversity, while offering information that can be used, should that be supported by their planning communities.
Marilyn Cade
Sent from my iPad
On Mar 4, 2015, at 8:46 AM, Makane Faye <fmakane at gmail.com> wrote:

Dear Chengetai, Marilyn and Constance,
Thank you for the the text and proposed amendments. Isuggest that we add that National/Regional IGF initiatives take into accountthe IGF themes and sub-themes.  In factin Africa, the annual programme of the African IGF conference (AfIGF) is alwaysbased on the theme and sub-themes of the IGF. We usually discuss them and comeup with recommendations in relation with the African context. In addition, weusually add 2 other sub-themes.
Best regards,

-----
Makane Faye (Mr.)
Chief, Knowledge Services Section (KSS) ---
United Nations Economic Commission for Africa (ECA) ---
P.O. Box 3001 Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Room FF1
Tel: +251 11 5443563; Ext. 33563
Fax: +251 11 5514416 / +251 11 54411458
Email: mfaye at uneca.orgfaymakane at gmail.com
http://facebook.com/makane.faye.eca
twitter: @makaneeca
Skype: makaneaddis
On Wed, Mar 4, 2015 at 2:57 PM, Constance Bommelaer <bommelaer at isoc.org> wrote:

Dear Chengetai,
Thank you for putting this draft together. My only suggestion would be to specify what we are expecting from the local/regional IGFs re the horizontal theme "Connecting the Next Billion". Should we ask for suggestions of ideas on the pillars that need to be in place? Are we inviting contributions that would emerge from the local IGFs on this specific theme? I think it would help to formulate a few suggestions for the consideration of their organizers, bearing in mind that each IGF must feel free to develop its own agenda.
Best regards,Constance