[IGFmaglist] [Ms2015_susteconomy] 2nd Virtual Meeting on ³Sustainable Development & Internet Economy²

Juan Fernandez Gonzalez juan.fernandez at mincom.gob.cu
Wed Sep 30 17:31:11 EDT 2015

Dear Hossam and MAG colleagues:

Thank you for the updated document.

I am not sure if I can participate in tomorrow's webex call, so I will advance some comments now:

·         This version of the document is better than the previous (that I saw).

·         Nevertheless, in my opinion, it still needs to improve its focus. Question yourselves:

o   Which concept (question) in this document is new?

o   Are they relevant for those not yet benefitting from the Internet?

·         I think that at this stage we don't need to dedicate precious time of the session explaining the benefits of Internet (as are presented on the end of page 1 of the document).

·         I prefer to concentrate on the barriers to achieving those benefits. For example:

o   What are the obstacles for internet entrepreneurship?

o   What are the barriers for obtaining equality through the internet?

o   How ICT capacity building is better delivered?

o   What are the best way improve health, education, timely Justice, environment protection, society engagement with the help of the Internet?

o   What are the hurdles to obtaining access to meaningful information from the Internet?

o   How to balance the above with the intellectual property protection regimes?

o   What are the barriers to increase the access for the non-conected?

o   Are there best practices for the above challenges?

o   What regulatory and policy issues needs to be addressed?

·         On the policy questions part of the document:

o   The first one is too general, and could consume a great deal of time.

o   The second one is not a policy question. Maybe a part of the session could be devoted to a few carefully selected best practices.

o   He last to ones (Integration... and Sustainable Multistakeholder...) are also very general and a bit theoretical. It could be a time drain as well.

o   The three suggested questions are (in my opinion) good ones and should be incorporated.

I will stop here.

I am making arrangements to my schedule for the webex call. I hope I will be able to move the other activities.

Best regard

Juan