[IGFmaglist] IGF: Intersessional and WG Proposals

Lynn St.Amour lynn at internet-matters.org
Wed May 4 20:41:27 EDT 2016

Dear Segun,

thank you for volunteering.  The secretariat is pulling together an updated status on the Working Groups and volunteers, and that should be out “shortly".

In the meantime, please see below for some responses to your comments.

> On Apr 28, 2016, at 10:29 AM, Olusegun H. Olugbile <solugbile at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Dear Lynn,
>
> First, I'll like to volunteer to work with Markus on BPF on Cybersecurity. It's my main domain. I'll also like to support Constance on the Policy Option Phase II of CTNB. Naturally I'll work with Maryln on NRI.
>
> Secondly. I didn't find BPF on Corruption (or Good Governance as some would say...) which was approved by MAG in the last open consultation meeting. I'd thought this BPF was unanimously supported by MAG members.

There was good support for a BPF on this topic, but it has not yet been approved by the MAG.   Mike Nelson who initially proposed this should put forward a proposal for MAG approval, and the secretariat can help him with the appropriate process.

> Thirdly, during the last virtual meeting, I suggested the need to set up WG on Communication and (perhaps) Outreach. I remembered last year it was set up to help communicate the purpose and the significance of IGF to stakeholders, to galvanize public support for IGF renewal mandate, reaching out to various related global events. The WG was coordinated by Dominique ( I hope She's on the MAG list)  and it worked so well with the Secretariat. Now that IGF has a 10year lifeline and we have the new clamour for the imovement of IGF, I want to strongly suggest we consider setting up this WG, strengthen it, and reposition it for the purpose of its core mandate, bridging awareness gap on stakeholders participation IGF 2016, IGF improvement dialogue, and providing key messaging support for MAG Chair in various fora.

> Though this is a suggestion not yet a proposal. MAG members view or comments will be appreciated.

Dominique is on the MAG list, and I was also on this WG last year.  There is not yet consensus on how best to support the work you outline above.  At the virtual MAG meeting, it was agreed that discussions on this would continue online.  As the proposer of this WG, could you please advance this discussion?  And, it would help to hear from other MAG members as well.

Best, and thanks Segun.

Lynn