[IGFmaglist] Fwd: IGF: Intersessional and WG Proposals

Jac sm Kee jac at apcwomen.org
Mon May 9 13:24:33 EDT 2016

Hi Marilyn,

Thanks for your thoughts on this. Agree that a gender-focussed BPF that
is sustained is a great idea, since as you noted, there are many
dimensions to this issue.

The BPF on countering online abuse has produced a really comprehensive
report, and at the end of the process, it felt that we have a really
solid basis on which updates can be added to - framing the BPF report as
a kind of living document.

What was identified as an important area to expand the work is on gender
and access - which links also solidly to SDGs, and WSIS work in this
area. Since there is interest, support and commitment to the work, seems
like a good first step to take on another dimension of the work on gender.

Although I think you're right that this should not mean de-prioritising
the countering online violence work. Maybe some thought needs to be
given to how we envisage the "living document" work, also in sharing
these comprehensive reports to different spaces where the conversation
is happening. Something for the WG on intersessional work to help think
through?

jac

Jac sm Kee
Manager, Women's Rights Programme
Association for Progressive Communications
www.apc.org | www.takebackthetech.net | erotics.apc.org
Jitsi: jacsmk | Skype: jacsmk | Twitter: @jhybe