[IGFmaglist] Newcomers to the IGF

Laura Hutchison Laura.Hutchison at nominet.uk
Tue May 10 09:56:58 EDT 2016

Hi all,

One of things that we discussed at the MAG meeting in Geneva was ways in which we could encourage new people to participate in the IGF and how was could make the meeting as accessible and welcoming as possible for these newcomers.  We talked about having introductory sessions and also possibly having a mentor scheme with members of the MAG.

I would like to suggest that when the IGF opens for registrations one of the fields on the registration form should ask people to flag if it is their first meeting.  This would firstly provide stats on how successful we've been in encouraging new participants which would be useful in itself even if we don't do anything else with the information.  Secondly, it would allow for the flexibility to target the newcomers with briefing material or welcome packs in advance to help support their participation and answer any questions they might have.  It would also mean that we could mark newcomer badges in some way (as ICANN do at their meetings) to encourage other delegates to support and talk to them.

I'd welcome MAG members thoughts on this and other ideas for making the IGF as accessible as possible for newcomers.

Kind regards
Laura

Laura Hutchison
Policy Executive

[Nominet_Sig_RGB_Teal]

Website<http://www.nominet.uk/> | Twitter<https://twitter.com/Nominet> | Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/nominet/>

DD: +44 (0)1865 332242    E: laura.hutchison at nominet.uk

Minerva House, Edmund Halley Road, Oxford Science Park, Oxford, OX4 4DQ, United Kingdom

Nominet UK. Registered in England and Wales No. 3203859

This message is intended exclusively for the individual(s) to whom it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, or confidential. If you are not the addressee, you must not read, use or disclose the contents of this e-mail. If you receive this e-mail in error, please advise us immediately and delete the e-mail. Nominet UK has taken every reasonable precaution to ensure that any attachment to this e-mail has been swept for viruses. However, Nominet cannot accept liability for any damage sustained as a result of software viruses and would advise that you carry out your own virus checks before opening any attachment