[IGFmaglist] My presentation at LACNIC 25

Juan Fernandez Gonzalez juan.fernandez at mincom.gob.cu
Sat May 14 13:03:23 EDT 2016

Dear Colleagues:

The week before last was held in Havana the 25th meeting of LACNIC, the Regional Internet Registry for Latin America and the Caribbean.

Simultaneously, LACTLD, the Latin American and Caribbean ccTLD Organization, held a Policy Workshop that included a panel named: "Internet Governance, most relevant issues of 2016 agenda".

I was invited to speak in this panel.

My intervention was very brief. ( I am attaching the slides in English and in Spanish.)

It was based in the last part of my article in the book that came out last December: "The Working Group on Internet Governance - 10th Anniversary Reflections", that can be found in https://www.apc.org/en/WGIG

I argued that the IGF is the most appropriate mechanism for global Internet governance.

I defended this idea with documents over 10 years old: The 2005 WGIG Report, that can be found in http://www.itu.int/net/wsis/documents/doc_multi.asp?lang=en&id=1695|0

And an article that our Brazilian friend Carlos Afonso published back in 2005 called: "A Global Internet Governance Forum. The View from Brazil", that was part of the book: "Vision or hallucination? Briefing papers towards the World Summit on the Information Society", that still can be found in www.choike.org/nuevo_eng/informes/3592.html<http://www.choike.org/nuevo_eng/informes/3592.html>

I will defend this idea in the upcoming sessions of the Working Group on Enhanced Cooperation that was announced last week.

I hope that you find this interesting.

Best regards

Juan