[IGFmaglist] Participation at IGF by MAG members

Franz, Liesyl I FranzLI at state.gov
Fri May 20 04:00:22 EDT 2016

Peter,

Thanks for your note. In fact this was one area of question I had when trying to compile the recommendations from last year's compilation and the discussion, so thanks for raising the question.

At least in part it may be a function of terminology - the difference between (1) organizer; (2) facilitator; and (3) moderator, which the current version may not make clear...mainly that we may have been using "organizer" and "facilitator" interchangeably in guidelines and haven't cleared it up. It was my understanding that MAG members are the ones pulling the sessions together - "organizing" them, as it were, and doing the prep, planning, etc., with their volunteer groups.  I wasn't clear how that is different from a "facilitator". I believe Virat may have some experience/thoughts on a distinction perhaps he can share.

Regarding speaking on main session (part of the public role you refer to), the recs from last year said that MAG members should speak on no more than one main session and if they do, not on ones they organize.  So that's how we included it, as you point out.   But I note there has been some discussion about whether MAG members should refrain from speaking on main sessions at all unless, as you note, they have dispensation to do so.

I hope this is helpful at least in some way of explanation about how we got to this main session guidelines draft, and I welcome discussion to come to clearer guidance.

Kind regards,
Liesyl

Sent from my iPhone