[IGFmaglist] Proposal for Working Group on Innovative Session Formats

Hossam Elgamal (private) hossam at elgamal.com
Mon May 9 01:41:24 EDT 2016

Great work, I do support the proposal and I think will bring great vibrant value to the IGF2016.

Best regards;
Hossam

Sent from my iPhone

On May 8, 2016, at 2:16 AM, Miguel Ignacio Estrada <miestrada at gmail.com> wrote:

Dear MAG members,

I submit the following proposal for your consideration.

Working Group on Innovative Session Formats

With the purpose to attract young people, and algo have spaces where people can share their ideas without occupying a complete session slot when it is not really needed, we should consider evaluating innovative session formats.

Also, some of the formats could give more space for participants who other way could not be able to present their ideas and projects.

2 new formats were proposed but we may consider others:

Lightning Talks
A lightning talk is a very short presentation lasting only a few minutes. Several lightning talks will usually be delivered by different speakers in a single session.
The proposal is to have them during and in the same spaces as lunch and coffee breaks. That way we give the presenters (mostly young people if defined) to have a place and an audience in order to share their ideas and projects.
For example: 10 minutes sessions / 10 slides presentations

Barcamp Sessions
We should reserve a special room for a day (or more maybe) for this kind of unconference sessions where anyone can schedule his/her own session by writing on a whiteboard or putting a Post-It note on a 'grid' of sessions during the morning.
For example: The whiteboard opens at 8.30AM with 30 minutes slots. The sessions are from 10AM until 1PM and from 3PM until 6PM. People arriving before 8:30AM will wait in a queue and will have the chance to schedule only one 30 minutes session each.

Proposed Action Items / Timeline

A proposed schedule for the consideration by MAG is submitted below:

No.	Activity	Responsible	Deadline
1	Open call to invite volunteers for the WG	Secretariat / Nacho Estrada	9-may.-2016
2	WG Guidelines Proposal	WG members	20-may.-2016
3	WG Guidelines Approval	MAG	2nd online call
4	New Session Formats Plan Proposal	WG members	14-jun.-2016
5	New Session Formats Plan Approval	MAG	16-jun.-2016
6	New Session Formats Planning (format, times, reqs,etc)	WG members	15-jul.-2016
7	New Session Formats Call Materials Ready	WG Members / Secretariat	1-jul.-2016
8	Lightning Sessions Call for Proposals	WG members	5-jul.-2016
9	Lightning Sessions Call for Proposals End	WG members	29-ago.-2016
10	Lightning Sessions Proposals Review Ready	WG members	30-sept.-2016
11	Lightning Sessions Final List	WG members	30-sept.-2016
12	Lightning Sessions Final List Comunication	Secretariat / MAG	4-oct.-2016
13	Lightning Sessions Online Training Call 1	WG members	18-oct.-2016
14	Lightning Sessions Online Training Call 2	WG members	3-nov.-2016
15	Lightning Sessions Online Training Call 3	WG members	15-nov.-2016
16	Lightning Sessions held at IGF 2016	WG members	6-dic.-2016
17	Barcamp Sessions held at IGF 2016	WG members	6-dic.-2016

Note:
The above is a proposal to be considered by the Secretariat, MAG and WG Members in case the WG is accepted.

Request discussion at the 2st MAG virtual meeting, meanwhile comments invited

Request the secretariat to please list this proposal for discussion during the next MAG Virtual meeting.

Meanwhile, comments and inputs are also welcome in advance.

I hope you find this WG helpful.

Regards,

--
Nacho Estrada | @acmuzic