[IGFmaglist] DRAFT MAIN SESSION GUIDELINES 2016, SUBMITTED FOR MAG'S CONSIDERATION, COMMENTS AND APPROVAL

Salanieta Tamanikaiwaimaro sala at pasifikanexus.nu
Sun May 15 11:38:51 EDT 2016

Dear Co-Chairs of WG for Guidelines for Main Session:

Fantastic work so far. Made some rough edits to the document shared. Within
your discretion and group dialogue. My edits are attached.

Warm Regards,
Sala T

On Fri, May 13, 2016 at 4:47 PM, Bhatia, Virat <virat.bhatia at intl.att.com>
wrote:

> Dear Lynn, Chengetai, and Members,
>
> This is to inform you that the Working Group on Main Sessions (WGMS) has
> completed its assigned task of formulating Draft Main Session (MS)
> Guidelines and criteria, for IGF 2016. Brief details regarding the
> proceedings of the Working Group, along with the Draft MS Guidelines 2016,
> are attached for MAG’s consideration, comments and approval.
>
> *Proceedings of the Working Group on Main Sessions *
>
> The Working Group on Main Sessions (WGMS) was formed after receiving MAG
> approval on April 26. Liesyl Franz and I volunteered to co-facilitate the
> proceedings of the WG. An open call inviting volunteers to join the WG was
> sent out on April 27. A total of 23 members from and outside the MAG,
> kindly volunteered to join the WG. Relevant documents from 2015 Guidelines
> were circulated, inviting comments.  Comments were received from several
> members of the WG. Special thanks to Jeremy Malcolm, Zeina Bou Harb, Klaus
> Stoll, Renata Aquino Ribeiro, Association for Progressive Communications
> and Susan Chalmers for their written inputs and guidance for structuring
> the 2016 draft.
>

> *Modular Recommendations for 2016 Main Session Guidelines*
>

> Based on the inputs provided by WGMS members, the Draft MS Guidelines have
> been prepared in a 3 tier modular structure:
>
> i)                 Main Sessions Guidelines
>
> ii)                Considerations for Main Sessions
>
> iii)               Recommended timelines for 2016 for main session
> planning
>

> It has been the WGMS’s attempt to keep the first 2 parts (Guidelines and
> Considerations) as a rotating document for future years.
>

> -        Guidelines are specific and will eventually become the basis of
> selection.
>
> -        Considerations are by way of advice and guidance to Main Session
> co-facilitators. Obviously, both these parts can evolve, based on
> discussions within future MAGs and the needs / focus of forthcoming IGFs.
>
> -        The Draft Timelines have been recommended specifically for
> 2016.  These (steps and deadlines) will need to be updated necessarily,
> ahead of each IGF, depending on various circumstances.
>

> *Next Steps*
>

> WGMS submits that:
>
> i)                 The Draft MS Guidelines 2016, may kindly be reviewed
> by the MAG.
>
> ii)                The secretariat may kindly list the Draft MS
> Guidelines 2016, as an agenda item for the upcoming MAG virtual call
> scheduled on May 18, 2016.
>
> iii)               The MAG may kindly consider approving the Draft MS
> Guidelines by 30th May 2016.  It is only after final MS Guidelines are
> announced that the co-facilitators of the proposed main sessions for 2016
> can be requested to send in written proposals for consideration of the MAG,
> and discussions, likely at the 2nd MAG meeting from 12-14 July 2016, in
> NY.

> [...]

Salanieta Tamanikaiwaimaro
Director
Pasifika Nexus