[IGFmaglist] BPF - Gender and Access (was: IGF: Intersessional and WG Proposals)

Lynn St.Amour Lynn at Internet-Matters.org
Mon May 16 21:52:35 EDT 2016

Dear colleagues,

to move this discussion forward, I am going to try and summarize where I think we are.  Please jump in if I missed something or have it wrong, as this will be discussed on the upcoming MAG call.

I think there are 3 separate but related points here:

1 -  It seems there is support for a BPF on Gender and Access, though will need to finalize specific descriptions, objectives, coordinators, roles, etc. (per the Report of 2015 BPF Consultants: Observations, Thoughts and Suggestions to enhance BPF Process, Participation and Outputs).

2 - And, Jac, Avri, and others have pointed out that the 2015 BPF on Online Abuse stated that  "turning the work into an online living resource was recommend by the group last year. “  There was support for “scoping out the best way to do this before the next IGF meeting” and a further suggestion that this should be part of a WG on intersessional work that would discuss e.g. how to extend the reach and impact of BPF work and 'living documents' (discussed below), and think through modalities to support on-going work from year to year.”  This  item requires more discussion (and note applies to other intersessional work as well such as Connecting the Next Billion - Phase I and II).

3 -  Finally, comments from Marilyn (and Wisdom?) suggested we focus on enhancing understanding of access and economic and social/cultural opportunity through ICTs [parts of Goal5/SDGs] in workshops and main sessions during IGF2016.   Workshop proposals are coming in and if there is interest in a separate Main session, a proposal will need to be submitted/

Please let me know if I have missed anything, and look forward to discussing this on our MAG Virtual meeting later this week.