[IGFmaglist] For agenda item 3

Lynn St.Amour Lynn at Internet-Matters.org
Sat May 21 10:26:37 EDT 2016

> On May 21, 2016, at 9:46 AM, avri doria <avri at acm.org> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I guess we have a fundamental difference of opinion about the role of
> DESA in an IGF initiated by the UN and one convened and controlled by
> the UN.

Hi Avri,

could you help me understand your point above, please?  It seems contradictory, and I would like to understand.

I assume we agree that the IGF is convened under the UNSG, and it is housed within DESA as an extra-budgetary project.   Control is a difficult word and not one I would use, but I do not believe it is controlled by the UN (it may be administered or overseen by the UN), but it is directed (and funded by) by the multistakeholder community through many avenues - the IGF itself, National and regional IGF Initiatives, WSIS Forums, WSIS +10, CSTD, etc. and all the avenues intrinsic to the stakeholder communities within the IGF: Governments, Civil Society, Private Sector, Technical community.

> I probably should have just stuck to my surrender to facts on the ground
> and kept my opinion to myself.  I wish us all luck.

Please stay engaged in the discussion.    Where do you see a "fundamental difference of opinion”?