[IGFmaglist] FAQ's on Retreat and extension of nomination deadline

avri doria avri at acm.org
Tue May 24 16:33:00 EDT 2016

Hi,

Following a good example from a fellow MAG member who looks at the
numbers, and because a few of us have issues with figuring out the
counts, I looked at the numbers and decided to check my understanding.

If I understand correctly:

1 MAG member from each of 4 Groupings = 4 x 1 = 4

2 community members picked by each of 4 communities = 4 x 2 = 8

2 community members picked by DESA from name pool submitted by 4
communities and individual constituency member self nominations*   = 4 x
2 = 8

15 at large members picked by DESA alone (35-20) = 15

Some percentages:

DESA will pick 23 of the 35 participants  = 66%

Community picks 12 of the 35 participants = 34%

Community pick or nominates 20 of the 35 participants = 57%

Curious to see if I understand correctly.

While I will not comment on the proportionality of DESA picked versus
community-picked as it is their meeting and they get to invite in any
proportions they wish, I do think there is some merit is subdividing
community participants into groups picked by the formal community
aggregation process and from those nominations submitted by constituency
members who may be outside the purview of the formal aggregators.

Be interested to see how it works out.

avri

* (not sure if this applies to government slectionor they just pick 4
using their own methods instead of the 2+2 method for the 3 non
governmental groups )