[IGFmaglist] FINAL REQUEST FOR MAG COMMENTS ON MAIN SESSION GUIDELINES 2016

Salanieta Tamanikaiwaimaro sala at pasifikanexus.nu
Thu May 26 06:19:22 EDT 2016

If one were to revisit the letter by the Under Secretary General to the
Former MAG chair encouraging linkages hence the additional insertions. I
would also say that it is not compulsory but can be used to link in line
with the original mandate.

Secondly, for developing countries the issue of Access, Availability and
Affordability in terms of funding and globally infrastrucrure providers are
constantly looking for ways to consolidate creation of enabling
environment. Hence the Addis Ababa inserts...it is just a way of moving out
of the silos to advance access for the average person whether underserved
communities, elderly, persons with disability, gender, youth etc. It is not
enough to just point to the SDGs but explore enhancing cohesion of tackling
the challenges of the next decade.

With respect to references to the Sendai Framework we have seen countries
both developed and developing impacted by natural disasters of
unprecedented scale whether these were Tsunamis, Earthquakes or Hyphoons
and the potential of the internet and aspects of IG to address resiliency
response is far from reached. The potential of internet governance to
address these is far from utilised. This has been addressed in APrIGFs way
back in Singapore a few years ago.

As for climate change, the world we live in as interconnected as it is has
impacted developmental and international commerce and trade. For instance,
droughts all over the world can be traced to drying up of forests in the
Amazon that has changed weather occurrences right across the world. This
impacts food supply, trade, market dynamics and poverty. Last year when the
WRC following four years of discussions on all kinds of agendas and
concerns from regions around the world one main issue being globally pushed
by some were threats to C Band Satellite which in turn has an impact across
a variety of industries such as education, broadcast and even disaster
response.

As we move into 2016 to 2026 and create an enabling platform we need to
highlight how IGFs can in fact propel and fuel and tackle solutions to
issues affecting global communities.

There have been previous criticisms on how IGFs are just a talk fest.
Guidelines help shape and create context and context as we know always
shapes meaning.

Submitted for co-chairs and WGs consideration.