[IGFmaglist] Proposal for Modification for the Workshop Review and Evaluation Process

Juan Fernandez Gonzalez juan.fernandez at mincom.gob.cu
Tue May 31 19:06:11 EDT 2016

Dear Colleagues:

First of all let me congratulate Rasha and her collaborators for conducting a critical analysis of the established workshop review and evaluation process.

But I am not totally in agreement with some of the conclusions.

Let me begin with the last of the three concerns and them move up:

The scores are subjective in nature: That is totally true, so the evaluations are completely relative, and yes, that is why MAG members feel they need to evaluate every workshop.

I think that it is impossible to avoid this and to have an “absolute” rating system.

So from the above, the criteria, being 10 or 5 is totally irrelevant, because the evaluations are always subjective and relative. This is, what a MAG member can decide is if one workshop is “better” that another, and so to order them in order that if a cut off is set, let’s say, after the first 100 workshops, then he knows which workshops to recommend and which not. I placed quotes on “better”, because I will come back to this concept later.

So having said this about the two last concerns, then we get to the topic of how many workshops proposals the MAG members should evaluate.

My answer to this? ALL.

The only solution to a subjective and relative evaluation process based in arbitrary criteria is a statistical solution.

This means that the only way to try to reach an “objective” evaluation is to have as many and diverse evaluators possible.

And I agree with what was said the evaluation of workshops is one of the fundamental tasks of MAG members, so we have to do it.

Of course, after nearly of 40 years grading exams, test and papers of university students, I can tell you that there exists methods to evaluate large numbers of exams on a fixed deadline. The most common you all know it: the low pass, high pass and doubt method.

This is to classify the proposals in three groups after a quick initial review: the ones that you are  “sure” that will pass, the one that you are “sure” that  will not pass, and the “doubt” group. I quoted the word “sure” because nothing is carved in stone (remember subjectivity) and maybe in a second pass some proposals can move in or out of any of these three groups.

The process is iterative and this three groups are refined after each rounds until you get a stable relative evaluation of the workshops.

So to summarize my recommendations:

I think that ALL MAG members should evaluate ALL workshops proposals, based on whatever criteria each one believes is relevant to decide if a workshop proposal is “better” than other.

What we can discuss is  what we consider as “better”, remembering that it is almost impossible to have absolute measurements, and that many aspects has to be considered  and not only the ones in the proposed system.

There are some criteria that are not part of the proposals. For example, if there is only one proposal on a topic that the MAG decides that it is very important in this 2016, maybe that proposal should be admitted even if it is not as well presented as some other workshop on a topic in which there is an abundance of proposals. Something similar can be said about a proposal that brings as speakers very relevant persons, etc., etc.

Well, I will leave it here.

Best regards

Juan