[IGFmaglist] IGF 2017 - CNB & SDGs
bommelaer at isoc.org
Fri Mar 3 04:24:02 EST 2017
Re-circulating the note below per Lynn’s request.
From: Constance Bommelaer <bommelaer at isoc.org>
Date: Tuesday, 21 February 2017 at 14:59
To: IGF Maglist <Igfmaglist at intgovforum.org>
Subject: IGF 2017 - CNB & SDGs
In preparation of next week’s meeting, I wanted to share a few ideas on ways to take forward the IGF CNB work in light of the current focus on advancing the UN SDGs. As a reminder, the “IGF 2016 Policy Options for Connecting and Enabling the Next Billion(s)” are available here<http://www.intgovforum.org/multilingual/content/policy-options-for-connecting-and-enabling-the-next-billions-phase-ii>.
As mentioned in the Chair’s note below, in 2017, the interest will be in “Eradicating poverty and promoting prosperity in a changing world” as well as an in-depth review of the SD Goals 1, 2, 3, 5, 9 and 14. In light of this context, there are at least two possible approaches, should we want to continue focussing on the SDGs:
- Work with the ITU and others to update the matrix<https://www.itu.int/net4/wsis/sdg/> they have developed explaining the relationship between ICTs and SDGs 1, 2, 3, 5, 9 and 14. The IGF community contribution would be a series of case studies and success stories collected notably through the national and regional IGFs. I think this could be an interesting approach, emphasizing the tangible work that happens within the IGF community while demonstrating its value in relation to the 2030 Agenda.
- Pick one SDG and dive deeper. Since SDG 5 and 9 have already been covered by the CNB (phase I and II) as well as the BPFs, I would perhaps suggest SDG1 (alleviating poverty).
- Other possible approaches?
I’m looking forward to the discussion next week.
From: "Lynn St.Amour" <Lynn at Internet-Matters.org<mailto:Lynn at internet-matters.org>>
Subject: Re: [IGFmaglist] IGF2016 Follow-up
Date: December 19, 2016 at 10:31:50 PM EST
To: IGF Maglist <Igfmaglist at intgovforum.org<mailto:Igfmaglist at intgovforum.org>>
Dear MAG colleagues,
following on from our discussions over the past year and the clear desire to work to a more strategic and multi-year plan, I am including below some information on a decision by the General Assembly in late July 2016 that "the High-Level Political Forum (HLPF) on Sustainable Development — mandated to coordinate the follow-up to and review of global sustainable development commitments — would spend the next three years focusing on a range of specific themes and targets, ranging from eradicating poverty to building resilience to empowering communities”.
This is for information only as it is the incoming MAG that will formally take this work up, but I thought it would be helpful to our discussions on the IGF 2016 follow-up call (and apologies if I had previously forwarded this). The full announcement can be found here: http://www.un.org/press/en/2016/ga11809.doc.htm
Thanks to Deniz for sending this along.
Begin forwarded message:
From: Deniz Susar <susar at un.org<mailto:susar at un.org>>
Date: November 5, 2016 at 6:57:54 AM EDT
To: "Lynn St.Amour" <Lynn at Internet-Matters.org<mailto:Lynn at internet-matters.org>>
In that regard, the Assembly decided that the themes for the remainder of the Forum’s current cycle would be
* “Eradicating poverty and promoting prosperity in a changing world” in 2017;
* “Transformation towards sustainable and resilient societies” in 2018;
* “Empowering people and ensuring inclusiveness and equality” in 2019.
The Assembly further decided that the Forum would discuss a set of Sustainable Development Goals and their interlinkages at each session representing the three dimensions of sustainable development, with a view to facilitating an in-depth review of progress made on all the Goals over the course of a four-year cycle, and that the sets of Goals to be reviewed in depth for the remainder of the current cycle would be:
· Goals 1, 2, 3, 5, 9 and 14 in 2017;
· Goals 6, 7, 11, 12 and 15 in 2018;
· Goals 4, 8, 10, 13 and 16 in 2019.
For more: http://www.un.org/press/en/2016/ga11809.doc.htm
susar at un.org<mailto:susar at un.org>
Igfmaglist mailing list
Igfmaglist at intgovforum.org<mailto:Igfmaglist at intgovforum.org>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Igfmaglist