[IGFmaglist] IGF 2017 - CNB & SDGs

Constance Bommelaer bommelaer at isoc.org
Fri Mar 3 04:24:02 EST 2017

Dear all,

Re-circulating the note below per Lynn’s request.

Best,
Constance

From: Constance Bommelaer <bommelaer at isoc.org>
Date: Tuesday, 21 February 2017 at 14:59
To: IGF Maglist <Igfmaglist at intgovforum.org>
Subject: IGF 2017 - CNB & SDGs

Dear all,

In preparation of next week’s meeting, I wanted to share a few ideas on ways to take forward the IGF CNB work in light of the current focus on advancing the UN SDGs. As a reminder, the “IGF 2016 Policy Options for Connecting and Enabling the Next Billion(s)” are available here<http://www.intgovforum.org/multilingual/content/policy-options-for-connecting-and-enabling-the-next-billions-phase-ii>.

As mentioned in the Chair’s note below, in 2017, the interest will be in “Eradicating poverty and promoting prosperity in a changing world” as well as an in-depth review of the SD Goals 1, 2, 3, 5, 9 and 14. In light of this context, there are at least two possible approaches, should we want to continue focussing on the SDGs:

-          Work with the ITU and others to update the matrix<https://www.itu.int/net4/wsis/sdg/> they have developed explaining the relationship between ICTs and SDGs 1, 2, 3, 5, 9 and 14. The IGF community contribution would be a series of case studies and success stories collected notably through the national and regional IGFs. I think this could be an interesting approach, emphasizing the tangible work that happens within the IGF community while demonstrating its value in relation to the 2030 Agenda.

-          Pick one SDG and dive deeper. Since SDG 5 and 9 have already been covered by the CNB (phase I and II) as well as the BPFs, I would perhaps suggest SDG1 (alleviating poverty).

-          Other possible approaches?

I’m looking forward to the discussion next week.

Best regards,
Constance