[IGFmaglist] Potential IGF 2017 Intersessional activities

Kenta Mochizuki kemochiz at yahoo-corp.jp
Mon Mar 27 04:27:56 EDT 2017

Dear Elizabeth, Mamadou, Renata, and all,

Thank you so much for your e-mails and I would also like to echo what Elizabeth said in the previous e-mail.

As a new MAG member, I have been reading some relevant webpages, documents, and other resources to catch up the recent development and background of your discussions. To be honest, I feel it will take more time to grasp the whole picture of MAG activities but today, I would like to cast the following questions based on my previous experiences to serve as an advisor for WTO Dispute Settlement in Permanent Mission of Japan in Geneva.

Thank you again and please, accept my apologies for being unable to join the previous MAG meeting as well as regular virtual meetings occasionally due to the time difference.

Sincerely,

Kenta

-------------------------
1. IGF Registry
You have been uploading documents including a summary report of a meeting on your website, but why doesn’t each document have a document number and why isn’t there a online registry where members (or any other stakeholders) can search all relevant documents like https://documents.un.org/prod/ods.nsf/xpSearchResultsE.xsp ? I do know it is quite difficult to “newly” create such registry due to our financial constraint, but I think it is quite important to keep the record of all of our activities in such a way as being able to search easily.

2. Rules of Procedure
As Elizabeth mentioned, we need to have rules of procedure or decision-making rules on BPFs, DCs, and any other intersessional activities although we adopt a rough consensus system at successive meetings. We should be mindful that our resources are quite limited and what our mandate is. I personally would not like to impose so much burden on the IGF Secretariat as well as all MAG members although we are inclined to do a lot of things for proper Internet governance.

BTW, while I fully support your initiative to draw up this participant’s guide (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1u7xvRKhuSgoDhjFf4-iASknM3Ve-hVwgXH_ZJhR8dkE/edit ), I think we had better make it more detailed so that all participants can understand the whole processes.

3. Mandate of the MAG
I have been looking for a legal basis or official evidencing document to establish the MAG in order to check our mandate. I found this press release (https://www.un.org/press/en/2006/sga1006.doc.htm) but there is no citation. I would appreciate if you could let me know if there are any UN official documents on our mandate, in addition to MAG’s Terms of Reference (http://www.intgovforum.org/multilingual/content/mag-terms-of-reference).

Why I would like to find this is because it is indispensable for us to come back to our mandate when thinking about what we can do in the context of intersessional activities like BPFs, DCs and MAG Working Groups.

While the IGF mandate is provided in Tunis agenda (which is cited in WSIS+10 Outcome Document), our activities (MAG mandate) should be within the mandate of the IGF and more importantly, we should explicitly mention the clear linkage between the mandates (IGF as well as MAG) and each of our intersessional work (although this is just a formality).

Kenta Mochizuki (Mr.)
Attorney at Law (New York)
Public Policy & Corporate Governance
Corporate Management Group