[IGFmaglist] IGF BPFs - Proposal Consolidation

Lynn St.Amour st.amour at bluewin.ch
Thu Mar 30 15:14:54 EDT 2017

Dear MAG members,

as discussed at the last MAG Virtual Meeting, please find attached the current status of our deliberations on IGF Best Practice Forums (BPFs).  MAG members are asked to review these and get back to the MAG list as soon as possible.  Comments on these appreciated by April 5th in order to allow updates as well as give adequate prep time to MAG members ahead of our next call.

In general, there was support to continue with the following BPFs (noting that they were planning for multi-year BPFs):

1 - Cybersecurity - Markus Kummer sent a proposal (attached).  Comments appreciated by April 5th.

2 - Gender & Access - Jac sm Kee and Renata Aquino Ribeiro sent a mail with their recommendations to the MAG on 2/28/2017.   It requires some additional fleshing out but is attached below.   Comments appreciated by April 5th.

New BPFs Proposed:

3 - Combatting Corruption Online - there was strong support for this based on a concept note circulated last year by Mike Nelson (attached).  Mike agreed to send an updated proposal in 7 days (April 5th), with a focus on ensuring we can resource the effort. Original concept note attached.

4 - Local Content - Miguel Estrada and Raquel Gatto prepared a Concept Paper, it is still open for comments at: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1fILDME-2swKoshbQgXkBJtG8CqxW50ky0Mt0Rw1zYy4/edit?usp=sharing .  Comments appreciated by April 5th.

5 - Remote Participation - Renata Aquino Ribeiro, Israel Rosas, and Mamadou Lo submitted a proposal (attached). Comments appreciated by April 5th.

6 -  Internet of Things (IoT) -  in light of the fact that a Dynamic Coalition (DC) on the issue already exists, the MAG preferred to collaborate with other relevant IGF channels and this BPF was withdrawn.

In parallel MAG members are asked to review the IGF BPF WG Formation and Modalities document - attached below.   Comments appreciated by April 5th, 2017 in order to be reviewed at our next MAG meeting.   We do not want to hold up chartering new BPFs, but please review this document as you update your charters.   It is our hope that this document aids new MAG members and answers many of the questions the Secretariat and Chair regularly receive.