[IGFmaglist] President Macron Speech/IGF Outcomes

Dr. Rasha Abdulla rasha at aucegypt.edu
Mon Nov 12 18:58:46 EST 2018

Dear Lynn, Chengetai, and colleagues,

I have to say that in my personal capacity as a MAG member, I found
President Macron's speech today quite alarming. It sounded to me that
France (and perhaps Switzerland and Germany as well) are set on the path to
regulation, which in my book, translates to control.

I'm writing to share my concerns with my colleagues on the MAG, and to ask
the Chair and the Secretariat if, in light of Macron's speech as well as
the remarks made to the IGF today, the IGF intends to produce some document
or statement of any kind that may or may not support the issue of
regulation. Since this is an important, controversial, and sensitive topic,
I ask that if a statement of the sort is being considered, that it be
introduced to the MAG for discussion before going out to the community as
an IGF output document.

I take this opportunity to thank everyone for their diligence and hard work
on this year's IGF. It's been a pleasure working with all of you, and
congratulations to Lynn for another year of MAG leadership. The IGF is
certainly lucky to have you at the helm.
Best regards.
Rasha

Rasha A. Abdulla, Ph.D.
Professor and Graduate Director