[IGFmaglist] Inclusion WG

Ananda Raj Khanal arkhanal at nta.gov.np
Sun Mar 3 04:08:35 EST 2019

Dear Paul,

Appreciate your excellent work in Digital Inclusion Theme. However, I
realized that  the  sub theme could have been made unambiguous by choosing
the terminologies that have already been a standard in the IG issues such as

1.    Access: Availability, affordability, design for inclusion, and public
access ( universal access and service).

2.    Adoption: Relevance, digital literacy, and consumer safety.

3.    Application: Economic and workforce development, education, health
care, public safety and emergency services, civic engagement, and social
connections.

The Policy Questions can be adjusted to reflect the issues identified in the
sub themes in a very clear manner such as:

Access:

1.       What kind of policy and regulatory interventions/initiatives need
to be taken to deploy broadband backbone infrastructure ?

2.       What could be the business model for deploying such infrastructure
? ( Public Private partnership, Multi stakeholder partnership etc.?)

3.       How can access networks be deployed ? What kind of technology?
Capacity of the network etc? ownership of the networks?

4.       Affordability has been one the greatest barrier for adoption of
internet . What could be the role of the stakeholders in making internet
affordable?

5.       How can we ensure that ICTs can be made accessible for persons with
disabilities ? What kind of policy, legal and regulatory interventions are
required? What would be the roles and responsibilities of stakeholders?

6.       If universal access cannot be ensured, how can we make Internet
available for people in a community?  Community access centers have been in
operation but the business models have not been successful. What could be
the reasons and what new models  can be developed in making community access
a viable option in making Internet available, accessible ,affordable,
relevant and useful for society ?

7.       What are the major challenges in the adoption of internet even if
it is available and affordable?

8.       How can Internet be made relevant to the public? What is the role
of local content in making Internet relevant ?

These are few sample questions. I can elaborate for all the three sub themes
If you think that my inputs are matching with what you are proposing .
please let me know

Thanks and regards

ananda