[IGFmaglist] IGF 2019 Travel Support Funding

Dr. Rasha Abdulla rasha at aucegypt.edu
Fri Oct 4 14:37:36 EDT 2019

Dear MAG members,

I just received an email informing me that my application for travel
funding to speak at the IGF has been rejected. As unfortunate as that is, I
have a couple of remarks that I would like to share with you as an
applicant and also as a former MAG member and therefore someone who is
concerned about the process.

1. The email mentions nothing about the criteria for approving funding, and
therefore applicants have no idea why they did not qualify or what they can
do to enhance their chances of making it to the IGF the following year.

2. Having received notification this late means that I have missed the
deadline to apply for funding at my own university for example (although
funding from a university might be reserved for a more "academic"
conference).

3. Although I am listed as a speaker on an approved workshop, to this point
I have not been contacted by my session organizer (who therefore has no
idea whether I will show up to the session or not), and if it hadn't been
for the automated IGF email, I would not have known that my name is on the
program to begin with.

I would have loved to see all of you at this year's IGF. I wish you all the
best, and hope that you will consider these concerns for next year.

Best regards.
Rasha

Rasha A. Abdulla, Ph.D.
Professor and Graduate Director