[IGFmaglist] [Ext] IGF 2019 Travel Support Funding

June Parris parrisjune51 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 5 15:28:41 EDT 2019

Hello Dr Rasha,

I hope you can find a way to attend. We value your expertise.

Regards

June Parris

On Fri, 4 Oct 2019 at 14:54, Veni Markovski <veni.markovski at icann.org>
wrote:

> Rasha, sorry to hear that.
>
> Needless to say, the MAG members are not part of this internal UN process,
> but your point, hopefully, will be taken into consideration by the IGF
> Secretariat for the next IGF meetings...
>

> Best,
>
> v/
>

> *From: *"Dr. Rasha Abdulla" <rasha at aucegypt.edu>
> *Date: *Friday, October 4, 2019 at 14:36
> *To: *IGF Maglist <igfmaglist at intgovforum.org>
> *Subject: *[Ext] [IGFmaglist] IGF 2019 Travel Support Funding
>

> Dear MAG members,
>

> I just received an email informing me that my application for travel
> funding to speak at the IGF has been rejected. As unfortunate as that is, I
> have a couple of remarks that I would like to share with you as an
> applicant and also as a former MAG member and therefore someone who is
> concerned about the process.
>

> 1. The email mentions nothing about the criteria for approving funding,
> and therefore applicants have no idea why they did not qualify or what they
> can do to enhance their chances of making it to the IGF the following year.
>

> 2. Having received notification this late means that I have missed the
> deadline to apply for funding at my own university for example (although
> funding from a university might be reserved for a more "academic"
> conference).
>

> 3. Although I am listed as a speaker on an approved workshop, to this
> point I have not been contacted by my session organizer (who therefore has
> no idea whether I will show up to the session or not), and if it hadn't
> been for the automated IGF email, I would not have known that my name is on
> the program to begin with.
>

> I would have loved to see all of you at this year's IGF. I wish you all
> the best, and hope that you will consider these concerns for next year.
>

> Best regards.
>
> Rasha
>

> Rasha A. Abdulla, Ph.D.
> Professor and Graduate Director
> Journalism and Mass Communication
> The American University in Cairo
> www.rashaabdulla.com [rashaabdulla.com]
> <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.rashaabdulla.com&d=DwMFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=K2FTKNuWb7Wf7f2CPCidMAlhi_unNVA6jjeHLvfMGss&m=x68xB-6kYvLhd8n7Mj_xSgCJ4GffRqyjUTZ2JgoozkQ&s=GF8LjbhM6wPIf-h2UE86uCX_ggHjwZ8mWif7AW-hjXU&e=>
> Twitter: @RashaAbdulla
> <http://twitter.com/rashaabdulla [twitter.com]
> <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__twitter.com_rashaabdulla&d=DwMFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=K2FTKNuWb7Wf7f2CPCidMAlhi_unNVA6jjeHLvfMGss&m=x68xB-6kYvLhd8n7Mj_xSgCJ4GffRqyjUTZ2JgoozkQ&s=ebpl8LLEnlYaQmH-6KuOoEwmbA3hjuC69THBK8a_n-c&e=>

June PARRIS

Research Associate
Member United Nations Internet Governance Forum (IGF)Multi-stakeholder
Advisory Group
Member | Internet Society, Barbados Chapter (ISOC BB) Facebook:
http://fb.com/ISOCBB
Member | Internet Society/UK Chapter
Member| Internet Society South Africa
Member|Women in ICT Community