[IGFmaglist] Revised IGF 2020 Call For Validation of Thematic Tracks and Action Items

livia.walpen at bakom.admin.ch livia.walpen at bakom.admin.ch
Wed Jan 22 09:20:16 EST 2020

Dear colleagues,

from the Swiss side, we are following these discussions with great interest. We are not an “official” MAG-member, but as a former host country, allow me to quickly share our view on the two options on the table:

We are in strong favour of option 2: “Create an additional track with the title “Sustainability” and then address environmental sustainability/climate change and/or digital economy as part of this additional track.”

The topic of climate change is of highest political relevance, and as we wish to enhance the political relevance of the IGF, we consider it crucial to make “climate change” explicitly visible in the IGF 2020 program. Furthermore, the Climate Change Conference COP 24 in 2018 was held Katowice, which is in our view an ideal occasion to place the interrelation between digitalization and climate change at the top of the IGF 2020 policy agenda.

Very best,

Livia

Livia Walpen
International Relations
Federal Department of the Environment,
Transport, Energy and Communications DETEC
Federal Office of Communications OFCOM
Rue de l'Avenir 44, CH-2501 Bienne
Phone   +41 58 46 11550 (direct)
Phone   +41 58 46 05511