[IGFmaglist] BPF Gender and Digital rights

Chenai Chair chrche001 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 27 02:48:56 EST 2021

Dear  IGF MAG 2021,

As the MAG co-facilitator on the Gender BPF, I am pleased to share with you
our proposal for 2021 which puts forward BPF on gender renamed from Gender
and Access to Gender and Digital rights, reflective of the evolution of our
work. Thanks to Bruna Santos and Debora Albu who led the development of
this proposal in the community. I would also like to extend gratitude to
Amrita Choudhury who will also be a MAG rep of the BPF. The proposal is
available here
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1VLUUPm7Zo8swfAYUflgF8dJ5_58bR1HI/edit>

In summary we propose to explore the concept of gendered disinformation,
understanding its relation with online gender-based violence (GBV) and hate
speech as well as its immediate effects on women and gender-diverse groups'
existence online and their freedom of expression.

The main goal of the work is to map the strategies and actions adopted by
governments and the private sector to halt the spread of gendered
disinformation and build a less toxic online environment for female and
gender diverse groups online. Additionally, this proposed assessment will
also showcase positive initiatives deployed by stakeholders and set the
beginning of what can be a long term multistakeholder dialogue on gendered
disinformation. The output includes a final report which will address these
issues, highlighting the best practices emerging from the mapping and draft
policy recommendations for the consideration of multiple stakeholders.

Apologies for the delayed submission and I look forward to hearing your
thoughts today.

Many thanks,

Chenai
--