[Wg-mwp] Where (if anywhere) to discuss IGF recommendations?

Jeremy Malcolm jmalcolm at eff.org
Thu Aug 31 17:33:32 EDT 2017

I'm cross-posting to the Working Group on IGF Improvements and the
Multi-year Strategic Work Programme group, because I'm not sure where
(if anywhere) to discuss ideas for reform of the IGF that go *beyond*
the modest suggestions for improvement agreed in the compromise
conclusions of previous reviews.

For example, reviewing the working documents of the WG Improvements, it
seems that only the least controversial suggestions are included,
whereas the kind of reforms that I've always been more interested in are
more ambitious reforms relating to the development of policy
recommendations within the IGF, either using face-to-face deliberative
democratic methods, and/or innovative online tools (for example:
http://tools.dcentproject.eu/).

If these are indeed out of scope for the WG Improvements, is it suitable
to air these more radical proposals in the Multi-Year Work Programme WG,
or are these totally outside the "Overton window" of acceptable
discourse about improvements to the IGF?

I would hope not, since in my view the IGF continues to face an
existential crisis of relevance if there is *no* forum to consider more
radical proposals (see eg. the commentary in
http://www.circleid.com/posts/20170731_igf_brexit_moment/ which paints
the IGF as irrelevant at best, or illustrating a failure of the
multi-stakeholder model at worst).

--
Jeremy Malcolm
Senior Global Policy Analyst
jmalcolm at eff.org

Tel: 415.436.9333 ext 161

Public key: https://www.eff.org/files/2016/11/27/key_jmalcolm.txt
PGP fingerprint: 75D2 4C0D 35EA EA2F 8CA8 8F79 4911 EC4A EDDF 1122