[Wg-mwp] Suggestion on IGF major intersessional policy program

THOMAS-RAYNAUD Elizabeth elizabeth.thomas-raynaud at iccwbo.org
Tue Dec 5 08:22:39 EST 2017

Colleagues,
Thanks for taking the initiative to make your proposal, Flavio. I have a lot of sympathy for what I perceive to be your goals.
If I understand what you are seeking is a path the community would choose deliberately across all stakeholders (as ultimately reflected in the MAG not just our group) as was done with the CENB. Something that could be a build for the IGF community over many years - as the CENB has been.

The concern is of course - how limited the resources are at the Secretariat for the current load of proliferating intersessional activities and expectations but also how challenging it would be if they continue to be spread out across too many different streams of work, without any deliberation on priorities and best use of those resources. Until such time as a tap of new funds to support this expansion comes in, we must see some effort to choose what can be supported and what cannot be carried on if we want to see IGF sustainable and strengthened rather than depleted.

In my humble opinion I feel that the community following closely this work is also being spread too thinly across these fields and failing to recognise or address both that and the resources of the Secretariat would counter to our goals.

I was writing this earlier and got interrupted but in the meantime Wout has come through with his perspective which make an important point I wanted to get to - intersessional work that is selected with intention to strengthen the IGF because it brings together the community of stakeholders and drives towards common goals is what should be given priority. It is worth taking some time to consider by the MAG WG and then the MAG supporting and endorsing it as representatives from the community selected to do so.
I don’t have the answers and I think they cannot be found before the IGF this year but I support the merits of this goal and pursuit so I feel this committee could spend more time exploring this question in the new year - taking into account of course what was learned from IGF 2017.

Look forward to seeing everyone soon in Geneva.

Cheers,
Elizabeth

Elizabeth THOMAS-RAYNAUD
International Chamber of Commerce (ICC)
Project Director, ICC Business Action to Support the Information Society (BASIS)
Senior Policy Executive, Digital Economy