[Wg-mwp] Suggestion on IGF major intersessional policy program

Flávio Rech Wagner flavio at inf.ufrgs.br
Tue Dec 5 12:31:16 EST 2017

Dear all

I think proposing concrete, intersessional, multi-year policy efforts to
the MAG falls entirely within the charter of the WG (see charter
attached). It is however very clear, from the charter, that the WG must
"work with the full MAG and the IGF community" (citing the charter), so
it is not entitled to make proposals by itself alone.

Please notice that, in my previous message to the WG list, I did not
propose a particular time frame for preparing a proposal to be delivered
to the MAG regarding a (possibly new) major intersessional policy
program. I did not suggest that such a proposal should be ready for
Geneva. I entirely agree that Geneva will be an excellent venue to
gather feedback from the community, by various means, including the
Taking Stock session. I am supposing that the WG will continue its work
in 2018 (pending decision of the new MAG, of course), so that we may
take all the required time to prepare a sound proposal.

And it is also very clear that the final decision on a possible new
major intersessional policy program will be taken by the new MAG.
However, this should not refrain this WG from discussing and delivering
a proposal, after getting feedback from the community and from the MAG
itself and after consultation with all relevant parties, including the
Secretariat (because of resource planning).

As Wout and Elizabeth also highlighted, the intersessional policy
program may be an excellent opportunity to attract other relevant
communities that are currently not engaged with the IGF. This may be a
powerful mechanism to strengthen the IGF.

Best,

Flavio