[Wg-mwp] Comments on WG-MWP work and proposal on IGF outputs

Wout de Natris denatrisconsult at hotmail.nl
Tue Nov 7 05:03:26 EST 2017

Dear all,

Before I send an email in response to the current discussion, allow me first to explain my position in the group, so you understand that I am not just speaking in a personal capacity.

Currently I am hired as consultant by seven Internet related organisations. Most are involved in other fora of Internet Governance, besides (NL)IGF. The background ranges from technical community to industry. They have hired me to agendize the topic of strengthened cooperation within the context of the IGF. They all feel in their own way that the potential of the IGF is underused. Several indicated they were sincerely disappointed with the level of ambition the Mexico IGF showed at the start of the new ten year cycle. They have the ambition to see the IGF make a difference and not just be a talking shop.

Three questions were formulated. 1) Is the IGF capable of delivering or coordinate in finding solutions to complex Internet Governance issues involving multiple stakeholders? 2) Is the IGF community willing to work together on finding solutions? 3) If yes, under what conditions can this be realised?

A challenge can be any topic the community chooses, but topics discussed internally comprised e.g. ICT product security by design and the global harmonisation of Duties of Care in ICT.

When I received an invite through the IGF secretariat to participate in this WG, one of the seven organisations decided to fund me for this work, from the angle I just shared with you.

I expect this explains my involvement some more.

Kind regards,

Wout de Natris

De Natris Consult

Kamerlingh Onnesstraat 43                                                        Tel: +31 648388813

2014 EK Haarlem                                                                          Skype: wout.de.natris

denatrisconsult at hotmail.nl<mailto:denatrisconsult at hotmail.nl>

http://www.denatrisconsult.nl

Blog http://woutdenatris.wordpress.com