[Wg-mwp] ICANN feasibility study recommends new initiative to partner with the IGF on outcomes

Jeremy Malcolm jmalcolm at eff.org
Fri Oct 27 16:52:14 EDT 2017

Some of you may not have seen the attached feasibility study proposing a
new ICANN-supported multi-stakeholder initiative. I was one of those
interviewed. The whole report is worth reading but these passages in
particular indicate why it is so pertinent to us, given our recent
discussions:

"There is universal support for undertaking an initiative dedicated to
expanding and enhancing the use of multistakeholder processes to solve
problems and develop norms.  ... We think the initiative can develop a
win-win relationship with the IGF in that issues that perhaps emerge
initially within the IGF might be referred to the initiative for a more
formal convening where there is a strong desire among stakeholders to
continue work on a matter on a more frequent and intensive schedule than
the IGF currently provides.  By offering a follow-up forum outside of
the UN structure, the institute could also strengthen and sustain
stakeholder support for the IGF."

Since we already have plans for a drafting committee to develop an
option paper of our own, it will have to take account of this new ICANN
initiative.  I suggest the best way to do that would be to invite one of
its representatives to participate on that committee. I have already
also obtained interest from the Stanford CDD group to join.

A question though, are we still awaiting the notes of the last meeting
before finalizing the terms of reference?  I understand there were some
revisions proposed.

Thanks.

--
Jeremy Malcolm
Senior Global Policy Analyst
jmalcolm at eff.org

Tel: 415.436.9333 ext 161

Public key: https://www.eff.org/files/2016/11/27/key_jmalcolm.txt
PGP fingerprint: 75D2 4C0D 35EA EA2F 8CA8 8F79 4911 EC4A EDDF 1122