[Wg-mwp] Fwd: [IGFmaglist] BPF proposal on AI, IOT and Big Data

Jim Prendergast jim at GALWAYSG.COM
Wed May 2 11:42:28 EDT 2018

Hi Lynn - thanks for the chance to weigh in as a non MAG member of the WG

I'm not going to get into the merits of the topics because I am under the impression the WG-MWP doesn’t get into that.  My understanding is that we develop recommended frameworks, clear processes and guidelines/standards for work streams, so that the topical program can be built by the community in bottom-up and balanced fashion with a higher degree of predictability and accountability of the process.

I apologize if this was covered on the last MAG call which I was not able to observer but I have a question about resourcing.  How many BPFs are going to be supported by the secretariat this year?  Is it still 3 with CENB as a pseudo 4th?  Or would this be in addition to the 3 already in place from last year?

If it means extending secretariat support beyond what they were able to handle last year, I would recommend launching this effort as a dynamic coalition the first year to 1) minimize the resource demands on the Secretariat until such time as the financial pressures are alleviated and 2) allow them a year to further shape and narrow the focus of this effort which is extremely broad and ambitious.

My sense is that next year some of the existing BFs will have run their course and that will allow for some new ones, possibly this one, to work their way into the rotation.  And hopefully some of the resource issues will be on their way to being solved as well.

Thanks

Jim Prendergast
The Galway Strategy Group
+1 202 285 3699