[Wg-mwp] Fwd: [IGFmaglist] BPF proposal on AI, IOT and Big Data

Flávio Rech Wagner flavio at inf.ufrgs.br
Wed May 2 13:25:58 EDT 2018

Dear Lynn

I also thank you for the opportunity to comment on this proposal, as a
non MAG member.

I agree with Jim that this effort seems extremely broad and ambitious,
apparently more than other themes that have been covered by BPFs.
Besides, as the proposal itself concedes, there are many other groups
(entities, forums, ...) also discussing those issues, so that I do not
know whether this BPF would represent a better channel to achieve
concrete conclusions and recommendations.

Please notice that one of such groups is hosted by the IGF itself, as we
already have a Dynamic Coalition on IoT, which exists since 2008 and
delivered a report in 2017. You may find it here:
https://www.intgovforum.org/multilingual/index.php?q=filedepot_download/5133/771

Please notice also that the aim of this DC is exactly to propose "IoT
good practice policies", aiming at "a multistakeholder position on an
ethical approach towards IoT development and deployment" (citing the DC
report itself). This seems to partially overlap with the proposed BPF in
terms of both scope and goals.

Of course it is not the role of this WG-MWP to discuss the merits of
this BPF proposal, but to analyze how it fits into a multi-year planning
for the IGF. In this sense, I would partially second Jim's proposal,
namely to launch this effort using a different mechanism, thus allowing
the proposers and other interested parties "a year to further shape and
narrow the focus of this effort which is extremely broad and ambitious"
(citing Jim's words). This would also help them better define the
particular role and goals of this BPF (or alternative type of
intersessional work) considering the various other groups already
discussing the same issues in the internacional ecosystem, and in
particular the Dynamic Coalition already in place.

Whether a dynamic coalition is the adequate mechanism to embrace this
effort in its early stage, as proposed by Jim, I'm not sure.

In the future, maybe these topics (AI, IoT, big data) could be covered
by a CENB-like effort. As I already suggested in previous comments to
this WG-MWP, I am not sure whether the CENB effort should last for many
more years. Even if this is the case, maybe we could have two such
intersessional efforts running in parallel.

Best,

Flávio