[Wg-mwp] WG-MWP: 2018 WG Status Report

Flávio Rech Wagner flavio at inf.ufrgs.br
Tue Nov 6 09:17:34 EST 2018


Dear Lynn

Thank you very much for your effort in finding a reasonable language for 
the final report that accommodates the diverging view points. I support 
your final version.

I do hope that, by way of either a CENB-like major intersessional work 
or another type of intersessional project, the IGF may achieve more 
tangible outcomes that are of interest to the wide community, attract 
new relevant players, and reinforce and even increase its relevance in 
the Internet Governance ecosystem. A multi-year chartering of 
intersessional work, including BPFs, would be very helpful in achieving 
these goals.

I also hope that the new MAG will support the idea of the pilots that 
explore new modalities of outputs / recommendations. Decisions of the 
new MAG regarding these pilots and/or a new major intersessional project 
should be taken as soon as possible, preferably no later than the first 
face-to-face MAG meeting.

Rechartering our WG for 2019 so that it continues its work towards a 
multi-year planning of the IGF seems essential to me and should be 
proposed to the new MAG in a rather clear way, as it seems very 
difficult for the MAG as a whole to make such discussion in depth, for 
very simple practical reasons.

Best regards

Flávio



Em 11/5/2018 10:02 PM, Lynn St.Amour escreveu:
> Dear colleagues,
>
> I have read through all the comments carefully and hopefully have found an acceptable way forward.  Apologies for the delay in turning this around, I have had to start and stop it several times.
>
> First,  thank you to everyone for the careful reviews and all the efforts over the past 5 or so months.   I began with the version submitted by Timea and incorporated comments and suggestions from all other submissions.
>
> I think there is a lot of similarity (or could be) between the major policy project - CENB and what some members were looking for wrt new multiyear strategic topic(s).  I think it is a good time for the MAG to review how well our collective efforts have worked with the major policy project as it has been 4 years, and  improvements are likely needed.  Some of the suggestions from WG members may be appropriate for future major policy projects.
>
> With respect to the two pilots that were reviewed in the WG - I believe those options are still open and a number of WG members want to continue exploring them.  They address modalities of working, of outreach and also exploring new modalities of outputs/recommendations.   The first step could be to get agreement on a topic or two and then determine how/if it might benefit from exploring these modalities.    One option is that we explore whether a new major policy initiative could be improved by following some of the suggestions in those pilots.   In any case, given there was interest in these ideas from a number of WG members, I attempted to capture the current state in the following bullet under Next Steps:   "The reports ‘Strengthened cooperation within the context of the IGF 2019’ and “Methodologies for the Development of Written IGF Outputs” provide additional ideas and may be helpful to the MAG in their deliberations.”    I also added (last paragraph):  "There was no WG consensus possible on these pilots this year (for several reasons), but there was significant interest on the part of a number of members and hence should be included in this status report."
>
> One of the things we consistently hear is that a longer horizon wrt the topics the IGF will focus on would be helpful in outreach efforts and in bringing in additional donors.   We have also heard that BPFs would benefit from a multi-year chartering as there would be no downtime between outgoing and Incoming MAG decisions, and would result in a more efficient start-up.  A multi-year chartering would also provide the ability (and time) to reach out to other collaborators.  To that end, I added one bullet under Next Steps -- for the WGs consideration… "4) Review the possibility of adopting multi-year intersessional activities for some BPFs and/or a major policy initiative.”  If WG members prefer to leave that out - no problem, we can pick it up with the MAG in the future.
>
> Just FYI, I am undecided as to whether or not I think the WG should continue, but this is a decision for the incoming MAG anyway.   This work is important enough and broad enough that it should be with the whole MAG (and this year, we expect to have more time to get through all that needs to be done).
>
> A few additional comments:
>
> Pradeep, you suggested capturing any “resolutions” made by the WG and calling them out separately.  I think this is a great idea going forward but as we did not declare them as such at the time, I do not feel we can call them out here.  We do try and indicate where the WG was in agreement.
>
> Also, you suggested including any challenges foreseen for this WG as part of the report to the MAG, and this is another good idea.  I believe some of this was done in some of the suggestions and extending this as part of any transition discussion between the incoming and outgoing MAG would be a good start.
>
> I made a few comments in response to other comments but the editing was acting up on me so they all say Author.  I indicated my comments by adding “Lynn:” at the beginning of them.
>
> Hope this report meets with your approval.  if we can get agreement in time we can report it as such on the MAG call this week, but I appreciate that may be difficult, in which case we will report it as a work in process.
>
> Note: need final copies of the reports ‘Strengthened cooperation within the context of the IGF 2019’ and “Methodologies for the Development of Written IGF Outputs” to include as an Annex and/or links.  Want to make sure I have the latest versions.
>
> Best,
> Lynn
>
>
>
>
>> On Oct 29, 2018, at 8:32 PM, Lynn St.Amour<lynn at internet-matters.org>  wrote:
>>
>> Hi Ben, all,
>>
>> a small group of WG members jumped in to help begin drafting a status report - it is still rough; and speaking for myself, I just ran out of cycles to help move it forward.  I am attaching it here.
>>
>> We would like the WG members to review the document, and help refine it.  Our goal is to have a status report that we could hand off to the incoming MAG/MAG Chair, preferably no later than 1 week from today.
>>
>> If necessary, we can identify the areas where there is agreement and areas where there are differing opinions - but we should capture the work and status.
>>
>> Appreciate anything WG members can contribute.
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> Lynn
>>
>> <WG-MWP 2018 - WORKING DRAFT Status Doc.docx>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>> On Oct 29, 2018, at 12:04 PM, Ben Wallis (CELA)<bewallis at microsoft.com>  wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Lynn
>>>
>>> During the last call, you mentioned some kind of Summary Paper covering the various outputs of this year, which I've been looking forward to review. Maybe that is referred to in item 3 below?
>>>
>>> Will that be circulated ahead of tomorrow's call?
>>> Thanks
>>> Ben
>>>
>>> -----Original Message-----
>>> From: Lynn St.Amour<Lynn at Internet-Matters.org>  
>>> Sent: Monday, October 29, 2018 8:00 AM
>>> To: wg-mwp<wg-mwp at intgovforum.org>
>>> Subject: [Wg-mwp] WG-MWP: Webex meeting invitation & Draft Agenda - October 30th, 2018 1500 -1600 UTC
>>>
>>> Dear WG members,
>>>
>>> please find below the log-in details for our next call - no registration required.
>>>
>>> Please see below the draft agenda - all comments/suggestions welcome.
>>>
>>> Siva, is there anything you would like to add to the agenda?
>>>
>>> Best,
>>> Lynn
>>>
>>> -----------------
>>> DRAFT AGENDA:
>>>
>>> 1 - Intro/Logistics/Admin
>>>
>>> 2 - Status of the following proposals:
>>>
>>> a)  “IGF Programme Framework”
>>> b)  Option Paper on Methodologies for the Development of Written IGF Outputs
>>> c)  Strengthening Cooperation within the Context of the IGF: A Roadmap for 2018
>>>
>>> 3 -  Review status of concrete proposal for the development of a multi-year strategic work programme
>>>
>>> 4 -  Update on WG-Improvements (WG-IMP) as their work relates to this WG
>>>
>>> 5 - Next steps/future agenda items
>>>
>>> 6 - AOB
>>>
>>> -----------------------------------------
>>>
>>>
>>> WG-MWP 2018
>>> Tuesday, October 30, 2018
>>> 3:00 pm  |  Greenwich Time (Reykjavik, GMT)  |  1 hr Meeting number (access code): 841 545 027
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> Add to Calendar<https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fintgovforum.webex.com%2Fintgovforum%2Fj.php%3FMTID%3Dm62b6ef28964f91427b2b06f4c7a10a19&data=02%7C01%7Cbewallis%40microsoft.com%7Cc0ce0c2e4f3d4aa1521c08d63daf5291%7C72f988bf86f141af91ab2d7cd011db47%7C1%7C0%7C636764220546393583&sdata=JQz3%2BdqmC9wyFn0TrbmXIlOlTvakMLKjCf2jh8xXfqc%3D&reserved=0>	
>>> When it's time, join the meeting<https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fintgovforum.webex.com%2Fintgovforum%2Fj.php%3FMTID%3Dm89fddc13474755fde69f5d00ebd20b6d&data=02%7C01%7Cbewallis%40microsoft.com%7Cc0ce0c2e4f3d4aa1521c08d63daf5291%7C72f988bf86f141af91ab2d7cd011db47%7C1%7C0%7C636764220546393583&sdata=9CfEpXpYXNJs95sHJPWozSgSG2VEPr5CzkUV%2BB7f4tE%3D&reserved=0>.
>>>
>>> Join by phone
>>> +44-203-478-5289<tel:+44-203-478-5289,,*01*841545027%23%23*01*>  Call-in
>>> +toll number (UK)
>>>
>>> Can't join the meeting?<https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fcollaborationhelp.cisco.com%2Farticle%2FWBX000029055&data=02%7C01%7Cbewallis%40microsoft.com%7Cc0ce0c2e4f3d4aa1521c08d63daf5291%7C72f988bf86f141af91ab2d7cd011db47%7C1%7C0%7C636764220546393583&sdata=Z5%2BBwMos%2Bx1%2FJa3aqEGmNHT56rNohx0sSocjdi477Dc%3D&reserved=0>
>>>
>>> IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that this Webex service allows audio and other information sent during the session to be recorded, which may be discoverable in a legal matter. By joining this session, you automatically consent to such recordings. If you do not consent to being recorded, discuss your concerns with the host or do not join the session.
>>>
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> Wg-mwp mailing list
>>> Wg-mwp at intgovforum.org
>>> To unsubscribe or manage your options please go tohttps://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fintgovforum.org%2Fmailman%2Flistinfo%2Fwg-mwp_intgovforum.org&data=02%7C01%7Cbewallis%40microsoft.com%7Cc0ce0c2e4f3d4aa1521c08d63daf5291%7C72f988bf86f141af91ab2d7cd011db47%7C1%7C0%7C636764220546393583&sdata=06wuKYhYJy9gyYrqWK4qRDSDMyq0K%2FehpHa2rY6s%2BmQ%3D&reserved=0
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> Wg-mwp mailing list
>>> Wg-mwp at intgovforum.org
>>> To unsubscribe or manage your options please go tohttp://intgovforum.org/mailman/listinfo/wg-mwp_intgovforum.org
>> _______________________________________________
>> Wg-mwp mailing list
>> Wg-mwp at intgovforum.org
>> To unsubscribe or manage your options please go tohttp://intgovforum.org/mailman/listinfo/wg-mwp_intgovforum.org
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Wg-mwp mailing list
> Wg-mwp at intgovforum.org
> To unsubscribe or manage your options please go tohttp://intgovforum.org/mailman/listinfo/wg-mwp_intgovforum.org

-- 
Prof. Flávio Rech Wagner		

Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sulflavio at inf.ufrgs.br  
Instituto de Informática                       Fone: +55-51-3308 9494
Porto Alegre, Brasilhttp://www.inf.ufrgs.br/~flavio

Diretor-Presidente da Internet Society Brasil
flavio at inf.ufrgs.br,info at isoc.org.br           Fone: +55-51-3308 9494
https://www.isoc.org.br                         Twitter: @ISOCBrasil
https://www.facebook.com/isocbrasil/            https://www.youtube.com/isocbrasil




More information about the Wg-mwp mailing list