[Wgco] NEED FOR A MEETING OF WGCO & UPDATES

Olusegun H. Olugbile solugbile at gmail.com
Tue Aug 30 12:03:09 EDT 2016

*Dear Member,*

*Please find below the summary report on the outcome of WGCO meeting.*

*SUMMARY OF REPORT OF THE VIUTAL MEETING OF WORKING GROUP ON COMMUNICATION
& OUTREACH*

The 1st virtual meeting of WGCO was held on 29 August, 2016 at 15:00 UTC.
The meeting lasted an hour and was guided by the following agenda: *Kick
starting the work of the co-facilitators of workstreams**; **Considering an
outreach evaluation approach submission made by Mariana for members' inpu*t*;
**taking Clues from IGF retreat areas of concern on Comm & Outreach**;
*and *Workstream
assignments on Upcoming Events/IGF website Improvement/ developing Outreach
messages for stakeholder communities**; *as well as other important issues
relevant to the work of the WG.

*Summary of the meeting outcome:*

1.     WG need to agree on the framework for achieving awareness and
outreach, most especially those that will be targeted to Africa, Asian
Pacific and other developing countries.

2.     The WG should consider working in close collaboration with National
and Regional IGF Initiatives (NRI), with well defined, concise and easily
understandable messages. It is essential that the WG leverage on the
existing outreach efforts of NRIs across the IGF community.

3.     Translation of IGF communications or messaging should reflect the
importance of local dialect and diversity. Messages could also be
communicated through a local dialect channel, bringing the IGF information
to the level easily understood by the identified stakeholders’ groups
across the continent, depending upon the event, and the availability of
resources to undertake the needed translations.

4.     WG could propose a strategic messaging format, which could easily
enhance use of email messages from MAG Chair, IGF Secretariat,  with
Facebook and Twitter linkages, other social media tools and platforms.

5.     Content Apps for mobile IGF communication and outreaches was
suggested as a means the WG could suggest would enhance wider outreach to
communities of interest.

6.     Outcome of IGF Retreat document, most specifically areas of concern
relating to the application of identified principles, such as *relevance,
accessibility and sustainability* of communication and outreach strategy
provided support to the need for enhancement of a communication and
outreach strategy.

7.     The IGF Secretariat could  maintain a repository of key messages,
make such available for outreach, identification of new stakeholders, with
improved communication of key messages through IGF websites. Omar
volunteered to work on the social media/website issues with Marilyn.

There was a proposal to have WG meeting during the IGF 2016 launch time and
to set up new stakeholders’ event booth. Marilyn suggested perhaps a FAQ,
or use of newcomers ribbons/MAG ribbons as are used very successfully at
ICANN’s meeting. Staffing for a possible booth was not fully explored and
other ideas were then later raised by other WG members, such as  use of
past MAG members.  A sub group will explore the feasibility and challenges,
as well as other ideas from WG members.

8.     All WG members were invited to submit all upcoming relevant  events
relating to IGF, with emails of the main contacts, website and draft key
messages for WG consideration and for community outreaches.

9.     IGF 2016 is on *count down to the main date. *Work of the WG should
commence earnestly, all co-facilitators of various work streams should
become active and share their work plan with the WG before the next meeting.

***************

Those who attended the Meeting:

      i.         Brain C. Gutterman

     ii.         Segun H. Olugbile